Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple AM modulation Question - Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouadalnoor

Hey guys, I am studying for my exam now and while reading up on my notes I got stuck at the question 2 attached.

I got my modulation factor to be 0.23 so modulation index of 23% (Vppmin = 0.25 and VppMax = 0.4)

I know the equation for amplitude modulation is:

Vam(t) = (Vc+Kam*Vm(t))cos(2*pi*fct)

I know fc = 400Hz, but how do I get the DC offset (Vc) and the modulation sensitivity Kam?

I mean, how can I sketch it etc without knowing Vm(t)?

Hope you can help!

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Hi fouad,

Where is that first lecture the link shows?
Also, that lower case 'v' in Vam(t) = (Vc+Kam*Vm(t))cos(2vfct) is supposed to be 'pi' right? So it is:
Vam(t) = (Vc+Ka*m*Vm(t))*cos(2*pi*fc*t)
right?
You might be able to graph this if you label the Y axis as "Vc" and "Ka*Vm" or something like that to show where those appear as cos() is periodic.
Also, you are saying that the peak to peak max is 0.4 volts and peak to peak min is 0.25 volts?

Can we see that "first lecture"?

Last edited:
Hi fouad,

Where is that first lecture the link shows?
Also, that lower case 'v' in Vam(t) = (Vc+Kam*Vm(t))cos(2vfct) is supposed to be 'pi' right? So it is:
Vam(t) = (Vc+Ka*m*Vm(t))*cos(2*pi*fc*t)
right?
You might be able to graph this if you label the Y axis as "Vc" and "Ka*Vm" or something like that to show where those appear as cos() is periodic.
Also, you are saying that the peak to peak max is 0.4 volts and peak to peak min is 0.25 volts?

Can we see that "first lecture"?

Yeah, the little 'v' is supposed to be pi (changed it now). I have now added "lecture 1" Questions and Solutions as well as lecture 2 so we can start from there and move on.

I have solved the questions for the first lecture (questions at the end), if they are correct then lecture 2 questions just carry on from there.

PS: In the last picture in the solution's PDF (1) = NRZ (Biploar), (2) = NRZ-M and (3) = Bi-phase L (Manchester Coding)

Attachments

• Lecture 1.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 237
  • Lecture 2.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 296
  • L3.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 177
  • L4.pdf
    737.5 KB · Views: 359
  • L5.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,678
  • L1Soultions.pdf
    560.4 KB · Views: 143
  • L3Solutions.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 105
  • L4Solutions.pdf
    852.6 KB · Views: 116
  • L5Solutions.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • ExamPaper2010.pdf
    283.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hello again,

There seems to be an error in file "Lecture 2.pdf" as it wont open properly. Can you check that one and maybe upload again?
Where is your amplitude modulation solution?

Hello again,

There seems to be an error in file "Lecture 2.pdf" as it wont open properly. Can you check that one and maybe upload again?
Where is your amplitude modulation solution?

Ok, done now. try again and tell me if it still fails to open :)

Hi again,

What version of Acrobat are you using? It still wont open for me, are you sure it got replaced? Try again in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back