Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Touch circuit sound, led. 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done. Sounds nice. To adjust it i would increase both R & X?

No. you raise only one of them. Either R or C (X).

‐---------------------
This last part is the alt power circuit for touch switches over 8 feet from the circuit. I will take a closer look to be certain its wired correctly. I'll return with my results

Will you be using a N.O switch like the micro switch? I'll need a part number for the switch.

Ok. I rewired the optional power circuit. Checked all components. Tested. No workie. Here are the voltage readings from Q9 & Q10 in standby and touch sensor pressed.
Q9
E 0 - 0
B 0 - .70
C 2.1 - 0

Q10
E 0 - 0
B .70 - 0
C 0 - .25

Attachments

• 20210124_150155.jpg
    20210124_150155.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 166
Will you be using a N.O switch like the micro switch? I'll need a part number for the switch.
Both. Depends on the door. N.o. switch or touch switch.Here it is.
The thing with this is I will short this so it sends a positive latch when pressed or released. Thus triggering the circuit when the door is opened then again when it is closed. I dont have to do this if you have a way to alter the circuit so it resets if the switch is released. Anyway,, This may pose a new issue when the door is left open and the timer circuit resets after the 555 expires. What will happen when the door is finally closed? The light will turn on. Perhaps there's a trick up the sleeve of one of the ic's that could be used to determine what to do with the unwanted pulse. Maybe my pinswitch needs more pins?

Attachments

• 16115193507384984106969484383354.jpg
    16115193507384984106969484383354.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 169
I'm using the same switches throughout the project. Either a digital touch or a mechanical NO/NC that can be rewired to be a NC/NC

Both. Depends on the door. N.o. switch or touch switch.Here it is.
The thing with this is I will short this so it sends a positive latch when pressed or released. Thus triggering the circuit when the door is opened then again when it is closed. I dont have to do this if you have a way to alter the circuit so it resets if the switch is released. Anyway,, This may pose a new issue when the door is left open and the timer circuit resets after the 555 expires. What will happen when the door is finally closed? The light will turn on. Perhaps there's a trick up the sleeve of one of the ic's that could be used to determine what to do with the unwanted pulse. Maybe my pinswitch needs more pins?

Just to be clear...

When the door is opened, we want to trigger the circuit and relay "on".
When the door is closed, we want to trigger the circuit and relay "off".

Right?

The existing circuit is designed to trigger on a contact closure (open to closed). So give me a few minutes...

When the door is opened, we want to trigger the circuit and relay "on".
When the door is closed, we want to trigger the circuit and relay "off".
Yes. I just was puzzled on what to do when the door is left open and the timer closeses the relay. And please take your time. I was just testing voltages to see if the circuit left a mark (hi or low) on a pin that may help determine how the relay was reset (auto or manually) but I can not find one.

Yes. I just was puzzled on what to do when the door is left open and the timer closeses the relay. And please take your time. I was just testing voltages to see if the circuit left a mark (hi or low) on a pin that may help determine how the relay was reset (auto or manually) but I can not find one.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.
We may have to use an IC.

BTW- What is the function of the relay?
Sorry just getting this. It controls the lites related to the switch. There are about 10 switches for 10 strips of LED lights that vary in length.
Some are activated by touching a plate (touch sensor) embedded in the wooden shelving. (These do not have an open and closed state. Just on or off)
Others are connected to a pantry door and activated by the micro switch that is mounted inside the pantry in such a way that it is triggered by the doors movement. (These do have an open and closed state)
I am building my wife a closet. I spent 90 days drawing up the plans. I even designed a carousel for her shoes. Ill post pics. Can't wait to get started.
Oh. 1 completed circuit will control one set of lights. So I'll be making about 10 of these.

Sorry just getting this. It controls the lites related to the switch. There are about 10 switches for 10 strips of LED lights that vary in length.
Some are activated by touching a plate (touch sensor) embedded in the wooden shelving. (These do not have an open and closed state. Just on or off)
Others are connected to a pantry door and activated by the micro switch that is mounted inside the pantry in such a way that it is triggered by the doors movement. (These do have an open and closed state)
I am building my wife a closet. I spent 90 days drawing up the plans. I even designed a carousel for her shoes. Ill post pics. Can't wait to get started.
Oh. 1 completed circuit will control one set of lights. So I'll be making about 10 of these.

1. So...if the door is open longer than the timer duration, the relay should de-energize and turn off the lights? Correct?
2. After the timer has de-energized the relay (because the door was left open), nothing should happen when the door is closed because the relay is already de-energized. Correct?
3. The Micro switch and the touchpad should operate the circuit the same way. Correct?

So...if the door is open longer than the timer duration, the relay should de-energize and turn off the lights? Correct?
Yes 100%

After the timer has de-energized the relay (because the door was left open), nothing should happen when the door is closed because the relay is already de-energized
Yes 100%

The Micro switch and the touchpad should operate the circuit the same way. Correct?
Nope. Only lights hooked to the micro switch will be connected to a swinging door.
Lights activated via touch pulse can ignore the rule.

So the rule could be documented as follows.
•If timer disengaged relay = true then

>>if micro switch = true then
>>(ignore next pulse)
>>Else micro switch = false
>>(Do nothing)
>>End

•Else (Timer disengaged relay = false
•Do nothing
•End

I hope this is not confusing. I documented it this way because the 4093 uses a similar truth table to make decisions.

I think the reality is the only way the circuit will know what switch is attached is by using an on board jumper of sorts. After that its just a matter of determining how the relay was disengaged. And finally to allow or deny the next pulse request. I do hope I am helping here.

Last edited:
OK.

I think this will do what you want.
It is the mostly the same as the last circuit but with a few modifications.
See circuit below for the following comments.

1. I've replaced the input signal differentiator circuit with a "dual edge detector" circuit. The dual edge detector generates a pulse when the input changes voltages levels. It doesn't matter whether level changes from high-to-low or low-to-high. It will produce a pulse on either change.

2. I've reconfigured the reset (pin 10) of the Toggle flip flop with a "Power On Reset (POR)". This ensures the Toggle flip flop "Q" is set low at power up.

3. I've re-wired the 555 timer so that the output drives the relay via the TBD62003A. When the door is opened the timer is enabled so its output immediately goes high, begins the timing, and energizes the relay. If the timer expires, the relay will de-energize. If the door is closed before timeout, the relay will also de-energize. If the door is opened again, the sequence starts over.

4. I changed the wiring of the Blue LED to reflect the status of the door. Basically, anytime "Q" of the toggle flip flop is high, the door is open.
I thought it would be more useful that way since now the timer LED reflects the state of the relay. We can change it if you prefer.

5. One thing that is a mandatory requirement for this circuit to work is that the Micro-switch or Touch module must "latch" its output.
This is easy for the Micro-Switch, but the Touch-Switch must latch its output on touch detection. I think the one you have will do that.
It doesn't matter, however, whether the output initially low and changes to high, or visa-versa, as long as it hold its state (no pulsed output).

You shouldn't need any more parts. The changes I made use existing parts.
I have the modified circuit on the breadboard and its working as intended.

Let me know what you think.

1611633958826.png

Let me know what you think.
Well I think your awesome for doing this regardless how it functions. Im excited to apply the changes. And yes the touch sensor can be set to latch. Ill connect the micro switch as it is without mods. So it will latch closed on door open and latch open on door closed. Ill be in touch. Thank you so much.

I've made the changes to my schematic. Im going to build this on a new test board. I am curious about a few things...

Does this circuit know the difference between which button is used? Micro / Touch

So this circuit will now ignore a "single" request via (button or touch) to engage relay if a certain condition exists. That condition being that a door is open and the relay off

If that is the case. Then the circuit (after ignoring the request) will reset itself and become ready again.

I'm curious how does the circuit know the doors state? Is it voltage based? 5v+ (high) means door closed and 0v (low) means door open?

Again thank you. I am learning a great deal. I like to stay sharp and this is good exercise for me noggin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back