Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

surface mounting DIP/DIL package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalmation

Does anyone have a tried and tested technique for surface mounting DIP/DIL packaged IC's?

I was gonna bend the pins out or under and give it a try. I might even bend then over and mount the chip upside down for one particular circuit where the pinout would be much better 'mirror image'. I know it sounds daft, but I have my reasons.

Anyone had any experience of this madness?

Thanks in advance.

-Dalmation.

dalmation said:
Does anyone have a tried and tested technique for surface mounting DIP/DIL packaged IC's?

I was gonna bend the pins out or under and give it a try. I might even bend then over and mount the chip upside down for one particular circuit where the pinout would be much better 'mirror image'. I know it sounds daft, but I have my reasons.

Anyone had any experience of this madness?

Thanks in advance.

-Dalmation.

I have used DIP ic's with legs bent at right angles, works fine.
You can crop the pins/legs to shorten them if space is tight.

Never used the method for upside/down mounting.

CAUTION: the legs will break off, if repeatedly bent to and fro.

IC socket: Through hole to SMT.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 551
I'll experiment tonight (with the cheapest IC's I can find).

I'll also try converting some of my sockets into SMD.

The upside down thing might be a bit ambitious, but I'm gonna try it anyway.

I'll post pictures if I get good results.

-DAlmation.

I've bent the legs under the DIP package with success. You need to trim the leads back a bit so they don't touch any traces running under the IC.

It worked good for me.

I had a wee go there.

Bent the bottom half of the legs outwards (90 degrees), then trimmed them back with snips (using a credit card as a spacer to leave a 1mm 'foot'.

Looks just like a SOIC chip now. It makes the chip footprint quite wide, so I'll try bending under the chip as well.

-Dalmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back