Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SOT223 package thermal resistance?

It is spot on for that package. A TO-220 is a whole different ball game when you consider it benefits from radiation conduction and convection. An SMT part, flat on a board, doesn't get much benefit from radiation or conduction, so it must rely on convection.

Here's a thought – compare to other devices in SOT223 packages to see if it's within reason.

Thanks, but ayk, Rth(j-c) is to the metal tab, not the plastic case top. I doubt its the same.
Does anyone know Rth(j-case top) for any SMD device wth plastic case top?

Here's a thought – compare to other devices in SOT223 packages to see if it's within reason.
Thanks, agreed, though no other SOT223 datasheet states Rth(j-case Top).

In fact, there are no figures for Rth(j-case top) for any SMD device anywhere on the web.
This is amazing when you think of the large amount of SMD devices which get cooled like this in real products.

Last edited:
Thanks but your kindly given doc doesnt show Rth(j-case top) for any SMD device wth plastic case top.
Ayk thru case top is not the accepted method by semico's , so they dont tell this...even though its a majorly popular way in the actual world.

From my post above. I do believe this is the information you seek.

Screenshot_20240105_121020_Edge.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_121053_Edge.jpg

Thanks, but unfortunately, that fig of 15c/w is for junction to the metal tab bit.
Thanks though i am familiar with that figure.
The junction to plastic case top isnt stated.

1704543629572.png

Thermal resistance between junction and ambient, called Rth(j-a), depends on the copper surface used under the tab. The following figures R(thj-a) versus copper area on PCB for versus copper area on PCB for provide the relationship between Rth(j-a) and the copper surface under the tab for a FR4 board (35 μm copper thickness) for various surface mount packages.

The area is a power law and easily shown on a log Y scale using spreadsheet insert power trendline.
1704546724657.png

From the above it seems to suggest that its possible to estimate Rth(j-case Top) from the value of
Rth(ja) and a knowledge of the Cu area of the a-joined Cu pad on the PCB.
Though i am not certain how that follows.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back