Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Push Rivets" for Enclosure Mounting

What is it about rivet nuts you don't like

I made a post about plastic push rivets in a unique application that I had never seen that was a good solution for a problem I had had in the past. A second post added another unique application.

These two posts took about 2 screens on my phone.

You mentioned rivnuts. Some people may not have seen these before, so it was a useful comment. Rivnuts. Various sizes. An application. That's great.

Except the discussions, arguments and repetitious nature of your posts now account for 19 screens of this thread on my phone. On a very marginally related part. In those 19 screens, there is mostly repetition, arguing and no useful additions.

Last edited:
MrAI - Rawlnuts to you, dude - as a suggestion!

Rubber rivet nuts! Not the plastic style (though I know what you mean).

The look quite like nutserts / rivet nuts, and work in a similar way, collapsing and swelling as tension is applied - but return to their original shape when the screw tension is released.

They are made in numerous screw sizes and fixing lengths. No tools, waterproof and easily removable if needed.

Similar to the Rawlnuts, I recently had an application for rubber well-nuts, which is substantially the same thing.

I wanted to replace the cover on these polypropylene enclosures with a pcb panel. The trouble in doing that is that the cover is secured using a cam in a large diameter hole.

20230828_232331.jpg

20230828_232414.jpg

CM230828-233422001.jpg

I considered various options but found them to be lacking, until I looked at rubber well-nuts. These expand as the screw is turned. The bore of the hole in the enclosure happened to be the right size to hold the well-nut in place before the screw was tightened.

SmartSelect_20230828_232631_Edge.jpg

The finished product looks great.

Module enclosure.jpg

I made a post about plastic push rivets in a unique application that I had never seen that was a good solution for a problem I had had in the past. A second post added another unique application.

These two posts took about 2 screens on my phone.

You mentioned rivnuts. Some people may not have seen these before, so it was a useful comment. Rivnuts. Various sizes. An application. That's great.

Except the discussions, arguments and repetitious nature of your posts now account for 19 screens of this thread on my phone. On a very marginally related part. In those 19 screens, there is mostly repetition, arguing and no useful additions.

Hi again,

Oh, so you are using your cell phone I guess. Are you getting charged for data by the megabyte maybe? That can be a problem I guess when there are a lot of replies too. My plan is unlimited data but that's at home. On the road I would have to be a little more careful too.

Ok, so on with some other solutions and I see the next one is interesting also. I didn't know they made 'rubber' types too.

MrAI - Rawlnuts to you, dude - as a suggestion!

Rubber rivet nuts! Not the plastic style (though I know what you mean).

The look quite like nutserts / rivet nuts, and work in a similar way, collapsing and swelling as tension is applied - but return to their original shape when the screw tension is released.

They are made in numerous screw sizes and fixing lengths. No tools, waterproof and easily removable if needed.

Hi,

Oh, that's very interesting I've never seen those kind I will have to check them out now.

This reminds me of an old trick...
Take a short piece of rubber hose, choose diameter to suite. Put a bolt through the hole with a washer on the head, then another washer where it comes out the other end. Put the nut on the other end as usual. Now when you tighten the nut, the hose squeezes into a shorter length and thus bulges out the sides. If this was placed into a pipe, it would seal up the pipe. If it was placed into just some hole, when the nut was tightened the rubber would hold it in the hole. You'd need access to the other side of the panel also or else find a way to keep the nut from turning as you tightened the bolt. Maybe some super glue or something.

Oh hey I guess we also have Molly bolts too.

Well, that didn't work so well, did it? ;)

If you want to have a longer discussion, try telling him that electric cars have the charger built into the car and only need a AC power cord from the house to charge. And that other than a Tesla they all use the same charge connector.

If you want to have a longer discussion....
If I want a longer, even more pointless discussion, I'll post "The sky is blue and pizza is good." That should be enough to get him sputtering for six or eight replies alone!

Oh, so you are using your cell phone I guess. Are you getting charged for data by the megabyte maybe?

Wow, you put in a tremendous amount of effort to miss the point, don't you?

Maybe if I said 2 screens of signal to 19 screens of noise, my meaning would be more clear. Your point about rivnuts was perfectly made in your first post on the subject. After that, since this isn't a thread about rivnuts, arguing with people who commented about other installation methods, or whether an inexpensive pop rivet tool will set a ½" rivet or repeating at least once if not twice how inferior plastic rivets were on your old car and how marvelous rivnuts are (actually, why would you even use rivnuts when pop rivets would do the task for a fraction the cost? – that's a rhetorical question not needing ANY explanation or defense) added nothing to the discussion.

Wow, you put in a tremendous amount of effort to miss the point, don't you?

Maybe if I said 2 screens of signal to 19 screens of noise, my meaning would be more clear. Your point about rivnuts was perfectly made in your first post on the subject. After that, since this isn't a thread about rivnuts, arguing with people who commented about other installation methods, or whether an inexpensive pop rivet tool will set a ½" rivet or repeating at least once if not twice how inferior plastic rivets were on your old car and how marvelous rivnuts are (actually, why would you even use rivnuts when pop rivets would do the task for a fraction the cost? – that's a rhetorical question not needing ANY explanation or defense) added nothing to the discussion.

Hi,

Ok when I become a robot I'll be as perfect as you are. In the meantime I'm still human.

However, and you asked for this (ha ha), you cannot ask a rhetorical question that is not accurate or correct and then say you don't want a reply. That's like saying, "The sky is green with yellow polka dots, but I bet you think it is blue right? (that's a rhetorical question no need for explanation)".

The fact is, you cannot always use pop rivets and on that hinge you cannot use them because the hinge itself is not only too thick, it is made of plastic, and pop rivets bulge on the sides and also sometimes bend a little, which would crack the plastic. Also, pop rivets are more permanent than nuts and bolts and so are less serviceable. If it comes time to service the door, if you can get it off it would be easier to fix again. If you have to drill out the pop rivets, provided they did not ruin the hinge to begin with, it would be much more trouble.
I considered a lot before I used rivet nuts, including future repairs.

Any more ideas? (ha ha).

Maybe you should ask him to make more replies about how you don't like some replies. That should add a lot to the conversation (ha ha).

I've always been somewhat of a raconteur, and I wrote for a major US newspaper so I am not afraid to use words and make certain points very clear.

MrAl , for your sake and mine, you have earned a place on my "block list" joining the only person on it, whose name also happens to start with Mr. Feel free to argue, make bloviated scarely related posts, or endlessly repeat how smart you are for using ½" rivnuts to hold you gas tank door to your car.

Buh bye.

Ahhhh. That improved the signal to noise ratio immensely.

MrAl , for your sake and mine, you have earned a place on my "block list" joining the only person on it, whose name also happens to start with Mr. Feel free to argue, make bloviated scarely related posts, or endlessly repeat how smart you are for using ½" rivnuts to hold you gas tank door to your car.

Buh bye.

Hello again,

Well i don't like talking to rude people so thanks you for that!
I guess you don't like being corrected when you repeatedly make erroneous replies.

Buh, buh, buh, bye bye ha ha.

Others consider you something different

And I am supposed to care I guess you think?

I think I've only blocked two people in my whole time online since the 1990's but maybe I should add to that list too.
What's really funny though is these are the people who think they should have control over what other people say to the max. Maybe Poppy Corny would rather I email him/her all my posts so that he can approve them all before I post them. He obviously does not agree with free speech and would rather censure that.

I'll tell you what a reasonable person would do.
For one, they are not obligated to read any posts. Finally, maybe he realized that, maybe.
Second, a reasonable person would PM the person and explain their position in full and allow a back and forth dialog in order to understand each others point of view. An intelligent person will always state their position and WHY they maintain that position so that they can open themselves up to contradictions and see if there is a possibility that they are wrong. It's not that they have to accept being wrong, just being open to that possibility. Without that kind of dialog that tells you that they are afraid to do that because they are afraid to be found wrong about something, even a little thing, and that means that their learning process will always be limited.
Before I say anything I usually have a way to back it up with some other sources, but you do not have to take my word for it. Look up these ideas on the web and see what the experts say about conversation.

I see you also had a subtle, negative comment in this thread attacking my character. Why would you even feel the need to do that? Even if I was dead wrong, so what? You going to die because of that or something?

I don't know about you but I was getting tired of putting up with Poppy Corny's delicate sensibility anyway (ha ha). In this thread he/she was sure I was upset and arguing, and even after I told him I was not arguing, he/she still insisted on saying I was again. That's unreasonable and really not very bright. So you see he/she did not JUST start ignoring me, if that's what he/she did now, he/she was ignoring me all along.

If you have something you don't like just let me know via PM. I try to stay friendly with all members on all web sites and am open to discussion on almost any topic, but something like what i have now seen in this thread should really be discussed in PM's.

I would say if you want to discuss this further use PM's not a thread with a given topic. It's disruptive.

Thanks for the reply.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back