Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing FHP TENV Leeson Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I have a TENV fractional HP (1/6 HP, 3.2 FLA at 115VAC) Leeson motor on a septic aerator. The bearings froze and are shot after just 2 years. The armature has a plastic internal fan that makes removal of the armature and replacement of the end bearing difficult. There is no external capacitor. The fan can probably be removed with a little heat, but I am worried about getting it reattached well. I would use Loctite if I get to that point.

Question: Is the fan really necessary?

John

I think the fan is necessary. (The manufacturer would have saved the cost of the fan if it was not required.) You may be able to remove the bearing using a seperator tool like **broken link removed**
I had to make one a few days ago to remove a bearing on a Dewalt chop saw. This is a link that shows this type of tool being used on this type of chop saw.

Les.

Problem was solved with a little more persistence and effort. Got the fan off without heat or damaging it. Will re-install with a little Loctite. My concern was that if the fan were damaged, it is not something I could buy retail.

I am in urgent need to get the aerator fixed as my daughter and her family are visiting in a little more than a week.

John

Is it sintered bronze or roller bearing?
If sintered bronze and not overly worn it can be cleaned off and soaking in light oil for a while.
Max.

It is/was ball bearing. Even the shields are distorted. Here is what they look like upside down:
upload_2017-3-27_17-41-46.png

The long shaft is hollow and submerged. Air is aspirated into the sewage. The motor rests in a riser off a holding tank.

For mine, the motor is enclosed on a larger bell housing. It is no longer made, and technically (EPA sort of thing) , I can repair with the same thing, but substitution of a functionally identical unit, e.g., one without the bell housing, would require recertification if my system, since the system and aerator were sold as a unit. Fortunately, that law is rarely enforced on home owners; however, it is a risk should there be a problem.

John

It is a common 6203 (metric) bearing. Picking up two SS, rubber-sealed ones tomorrow. Cleveland has a very large bearing warehouse on the West (my side) of town.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back