Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P16PRO - troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the main point- why keeping higher differential is still an issue.
whiz115 said that the 78L05 was getting hot with only 12V input. The programmer needs at least 16.1Vdc input to generate 13V for Vpp. With 16.1V input you'll lose 1.4V in the bridge rectifier which leaves only 1.7V across the 78L08 which is bootstrapped by the 78L05 to provide 13V for Vpp. The datasheet specs the typical dropout voltage of the 78L08 as 1.7V @ 25C.
Finally it is also possible that 78L05 might be a defective piece.
Yes, that is possible. It's also possible that it is installed backwards. It would help if whiz115 could post a clearer photo of both the top and bottom of the PCB. it would also help if he posted the voltages measured on the outputs of both the 78Lxx's.

Last edited:
Yes, that is possible. It's also possible that it is installed backwards. It would help if whiz115 could post a clearer photo of both the top and bottom of the PCB. it would also help if he posted the voltages measured on the outputs of both the 78Lxx's.

everything looks correctly installed...

with input voltage 16.90V

78L05 output 5.27V
78L08 output 13.34V

hmmm i found on my desk a DM74S05N might be the solution?! :rolleyes:

kchriste have you understood the circuit? you asked me why it has 6 pins connected...
have you found any errors? also can you explain the leds for the specific circuit
and not for the one on the picallw site?

thanx

btw sorry guys... I already know from the very first time i started to play with pics that they require 13V for programming, so how on earth i was expecting 13V from 6VDC power supply?
well... this text got me confused:

So here are only a few words about hardware. Supply voltage can be either AC or DC. Voltage Vdd must be between 4.5 and 5.5 V. For this purpose integrated stabiliser 78L05 (Vdd=5V) is used. It has current limitation (protection) 100 mA and with this feature protects inserted PIC from damage in case something is wrong connected. Programming voltage 13V is provided with 78L08, which has pin 2 connected to Vdd (not to the ground) and on his output there is a voltage 5+8=13V"

Last edited:
with input voltage 16.90V
78L05 output 5.27V
78L08 output 13.34V
That looks good to me. It shouldn't change much when you install the 74LS05, 7405, 7406, 74LS06, etc. If it does, then the 74xxxx is bad or inserted wrong. The 78L05 will get a little warm. This is normal. It should not get HOT and go into thermal limiting.
hmmm i found on my desk a DM74S05N might be the solution?!
You could try it. The 74S version tends to draw more current than the 74LS version. It also requires more drive current from the parallel port. At this point I would install a socket for the 74S05 so you can try different types without reworking the PCB too much.
kchriste have you understood the circuit? you asked me why it has 6 pins connected...
have you found any errors?
The circuit is a copy of the first PIC programmer I built when starting with PICs about 5 years ago:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/p16pro40.pdf
I used 74LS06's instead of 74LS05's. I also had to add C4 (330pf) for mine to work reliably. The circuit works if you have a legacy parallel port on your computer. It won't work with a USB-->parallel adapter. I don't remember asking about "6 pins". :confused:
also can you explain the leds for the specific circuit and not for the one on the picallw site?
If you mean for this one:
**broken link removed**
then the green LED is on when the programmer is idle and power is applied. It goes out when programming and either one of the RED ones come on to indicate that Vpp has been applied to PIC.

Last edited:
At this point I would install a socket for the 74S05 so you can try different types without reworking the PCB too much.

if i had one...believe me i wouldn't get into trouble soldering and desoldering.

thanx again.. i'll let you know when i have any updates..

thanx the other guys too :)

Nigel don't get angry with the new generation! blame Mcdonald's and Applebee's :D:D

why not replace the chip with 74LS series if not 74HC series instead of plain.
DM7405W may consume more from 05. thus you may use a plain 7805 regulator. but the input and output pins are just reverse, as you know. IT CAN STILL BE MOUNTED

why not replace the chip with 74LS series if not 74HC series instead of plain.
DM7405W may consume more from 05. thus you may use a plain 7805 regulator. but the input and output pins are just reverse, as you know. IT CAN STILL BE MOUNTED

i'll see what i can find... in case DM74S05N is not suitable.

What's "Applebee's" ?.

I obviously know McDonald's, purveyors of overpriced crap food for little kids! :p
The O P clearly mentions, as I understand, that even if he has a chip, he would not take the trouble of de-soldering and re-soldering.

Hence we may feel that this post is perhaps, closed, as it serves no more purpose, Nigel.

What's "Applebee's" ?.

I obviously know McDonald's, purveyors of overpriced crap food for little kids! :p

it's similar... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applebees

i've been 3-4 times and it's full of kids too!

P.S some foods are great i can say....

The O P clearly mentions, as I understand, that even if he has a chip, he would not take the trouble of de-soldering and re-soldering.

Hence we may feel that this post is perhaps, closed, as it serves no more purpose, Nigel.

:eek: :eek:

i was referring to the IC socket... kchriste asked why i don't use one...

i'll return on this subject as soon as i have updates... right now i left it
aside until i go and get some components....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back