Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NOOB - P16PRO40 Programmer help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notallbad

I have an LCD TV stuck in 'Service Mode' and unable to find a way to reset it via the TV set, the Eeprom is a 24LC64 (16f876).

I have a P16PRO40 Programmer but have never used it and it was built by the person who gave it to me which was some time ago.
I have a parallel lead that came with it and a laptop with a parallel port running WinXP.

I shall post a picture of the P16PRO if and when I am allowed.

A few quick questions:
1. What amp rated power source should be used
2. How can I confirm the PCB design version
3. How can I confirm the P16PRO is working

Thank-you in advance.

You don't need a PIC programmer to do this, but it can be used to write to an EEPROM - however, you are rather assuming that the EEPROM is causing your fault?.

There's no relationship between a 24LC64 and the PIC16F876 though, so I've no idea why you mentioned both?.

Why not just buy a new blank EEPROM, plug it in, and see what happens - often if you fit a blank EEPROM the TV will detect this, and write the factory default values to it.

Is the TV a Samsung?, these are well known for capacitor problems, and causing damage to the EEPROM.

Hi Nigel
Thankyou for your reply.
Unfortunately its not a Samsung, its a Goodmans GTVL37W24HD.

Apologies for confusion, I am new to PIC's and thought reference was given the this Eeprom as being a 16f876, my mistake.

If its possible to reset with it still onboard that would be preferable, how would that be done?

I would still be interested in learning how to get the P16PRO working too!

Thanks again.

Hi Nigel
Thankyou for your reply.
Unfortunately its not a Samsung, its a Goodmans GTVL37W24HD.

Goodmans is just a badge, stuck on any cheap sets they can buy in - so it could be anything.

Apologies for confusion, I am new to PIC's and thought reference was given the this Eeprom as being a 16f876, my mistake.

If its possible to reset with it still onboard that would be preferable, how would that be done?

It might not be possible.

I would still be interested in learning how to get the P16PRO working too!

Just plug it in and load suitable software - my WinPicProg works with the P16PRO and under XP, link in my signature. However, it doesn't cover EEPROM's, PonyProg is the most popular choice for that.

I have found a service manual for sets which use similar boards, may be different revisions/issues.

**broken link removed**

Boards actually in the TV are as follows:
Main A/V - HW1.190R-3 (LCDPSU-3)
PS - ZZ7.194P-5
PS Distribution b/d - LW6.194R-3

Last edited:
Those 24LC64 only save settings there easy to remove if there a pdip chip I would just put in a new one. I've removed a bunch of them and reused them, But I have a pickit2.

I would pull the old one out and put a new one in there cheap. But in all of them I removed a never found a bad one and I have pulled parts from some old tv sets and crt's they all worked

OK, thanks. Well I don't really know what they do, could the data its holding cause the set to be stuck in service mode and just needs the data clearing, so although its not faulty just needs data clearing.
Thanks

I've seen some sets get stuck in service mode. But that was do to the fact they where not using the factory remote and it had the commands to return the set. It could get you in the menu and the buttons on the set couldn't get you back out.

See what happen was the TV owner use the cable remote set it up to work with the TV and some how got the dang thing in service mode. So when he had me fix the TV I couldn't get out of that till I had them find the factory remote the set buttons would not let you close it only the remote could do that.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. Well I don't really know what they do, could the data its holding cause the set to be stuck in service mode and just needs the data clearing, so although its not faulty just needs data clearing.
Thanks

As I said above, fitting a new blank EEPROM (or erasing the old one) 'normally' causes the set to load it with the initial factory default values, you can then set it up as you require.

This obviously requires the original fault to be a faulty EEPROM, or have corrupted values.

Contrary to what be80be suggested, EEPROM failure is fairly common, and often simply blanking and reprogramming the original one either doesn't cure the fault, or it fails again after a few days.

Both corruption and failure though are usually caused by a fault elsewhere in the TV, normally high-ESR cheap electrolytics.

That might be what has happened.
The Tv was acquired for free! So I don't really know the history and not even sure if the remote is the original, I think thats what you mean by factory remote, the original that came with the TV set.

OK, I shall remove the eeprom and solder on a dip-8 socket, order a couple of proms £2.17 for 2 on fleabay, cheaper elsewhere I know but you usually have to pay postage if not ordering over £50 and Maplins do not sell them.

I shall then just fit a blank, out of the bag, prom and see what happens.

Meanwhile perhaps I shall have a play with my p16pro and see if I can read anything from the original prom after soldering on some lugs so that it will fit into the programmer socket.

Nigel I just posted What I've seen I have not removed any chips that didn't work. But I don't no as much about this as you do. Like you said I would replace the chip it's easy to do. But that's as for me. I only holds the setting as you said it will write the defaults then write the user change's

But I have fixed some Tv and the only problem was the lack of the factory remote

Now as for this
Contrary to what be80be suggested, EEPROM failure is fairly common, and often simply blanking and reprogramming the original one either doesn't cure the fault, or it fails again after a few days.
I put in a new chip I played with the old one it always was readable and writable but that don't mean it wouldn't stop in a day or two.
As for the OP put a new one in there They are cheap. And find the factory remote.

OK, so I plugged in a 20v d.c 4.5A PS briefly, without it being connected to a laptop, and all three led's lit up.
Is this correct, would that be expected?

OK, so I plugged in a 20v d.c 4.5A PS briefly, without it being connected to a laptop, and all three led's lit up.
Is this correct, would that be expected?

The LED's lighting depend on the settings, and what the computer is telling it to do. If you don't have it connected to a computer, then checking the circuit will show if the LED's should light or not.

The LED's lighting depend on the settings, and what the computer is telling it to do. If you don't have it connected to a computer, then checking the circuit will show if the LED's should light or not.

OK, I shall connect it to a laptop and try it to see what led's light and what settings are in Winpicprog.

The caps have been the source of a lot of these problems I don't fix TV per say But here lately I been fixing anything they bring me. I fixed a nice LCD Tv and it was poor soldering you could pick parts off the PCB. I would look the board over really good for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back