Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traffic Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYTan

Hi. I need help in my traffic light assignment. Where should I start? Below is the questions

Figure 3 shows the intersection junction of a highway and a farm road. The farm road
contains sensors that activate the matrix board to display CARS when there is a car waiting at
the farm road. In absence of cars on the farm road the traffic signals for the highway stay
green. If the matrix board is activated, the highway signal cycles from Green to Yellow to
Red. The Farm signal turns Green after the highway signal turns Red. The maximum amount
of time the Farm signal can stay Green is 10 seconds, after which it must cycle to Red (Green
to Yellow to Red). The minimum amount of time the Highway signal stays Green is also 10
seconds. Signals going from Green to Red always cycle through Yellow and the signal must
stay Yellow for 2 seconds. The figure is in attachment.

Design a traffic light controller that meets the design specification above.
 Your circuit should have 7 outputs, matrix board and one each for Green, Yellow and
Red signals for the Highway and Farm roads. Use LEDs to simulate as outputs.
 The traffic light controller has 4 states: Highway light Green and Farm light Red
(HG), Highway light Yellow and Farm light Red (HY), Farm light Green and
Highway light Red (FG), Farm light Yellow and Highway light Red (FY).
 Use counters to keep track of time for the Yellow signal and for the minimum and
maximum times of the Green signals.
 Use switches to simulate sensors and presence of cars.
 Show all the design steps and explain the functionality of this circuit clearly.
 Demonstrate your circuit to verify the specifications.

Your helps will be very appreciated. Thank You.

Attachments

• Traffic light.png
    Traffic light.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 330
Hi KYTan,

What equipment are you to use? Programmable Logic Controller? Microcomputer? Or something else?
Have you started the assignment if so, can you show us what you have?

Obviously your instructor thinks you can do this assignment. What have you studied that would support this? Knowing what you have studied will assist those trying to help you. If your going to do this say for example with a PLC. Then there is no need to talk about an alternate method of light control such as logic chips.

Provide more guidelines, so we can help.

Hmmm....I think I gonna use TTL ics to construct this traffic light system.What type of multivibrators that I can use?Is it Monostable?Astable? or Bistable? Does Mealy or Moore state machine can be applied into the traffic system? Do I need any sensor like IR sensor and capacitive sensor? Do just use switch to replace the sensor? I also learn those data shift register, asynchronous counter and synchronous counter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back