Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

surface mount type chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliec

Is there a way for a hobbiest to use surface mount chips? I get these chips sent to me pretty regularly and I would love to be able to check out some of them, but I don't know what to do with them. For instance, I just got several Allegro a3967slb chips, which I could really use, but they are in the surface mount package (2 X 12 pins)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have never used anythinb but dip packaged chips.

Charlie

you can buy various SMD to DIP adapters for use in breadboards, etc.

alternatively, if you etch your own circuit boards, you can use surface mount parts easily. You can check out the tutorial on my page if you are interested. (link in sig)

The trick with soldering SMD chips, is to hold them in place with a spot of glue, and using a fine tipped soldering iron and very fine solder, solder one corner first, then the diagonally opposite corner, then the rest of the pins. A magnifying glass may sometimes help.

I find it easier to put a small blob of solder on one of the pads on the board, then set the part in place while melting that blob. you can move the part around as you need by re-melting the blob, and when you get it where you want it you can do the rest of the pins. It saves you the hassle of having to have glue handy.

solder smd

I will try and solder a few. I may have to learn how to make pcb, first and that is also something I've been wanting to do.

I looked into the smd to dip adaptors and the only thing I could find was pcb type that convert them from smd to card edge.

Man, the list of stuff I want to learn is way longer than the time I have left to learn it. Oh well, I shell learn everything I can.

Charlie

A couple more tips:

Master the art of Zen meditation. You'll probably be a little nuts when you're finished with your circuit.

Light ALL your candles (i.e. lights, lamps, and illuminators). Shadows will make you nuts.

Get comfortable.

Practice on chips that you have more than one or two of. Don't start with that one-of-a-kind IC.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back