Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multipin Panel/PCB Mount Connector – Suggestions?

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
I sometimes have the need for a 3 or 4 pin connector for sensors. What I'd like is some low-cost connector type that can be board or panel mounted, with a mating connector that's reasonably easy to assemble to a cable.

I'm drawing a blank on good solutions. Phone plugs aren't a great solution since they may short contacts as plugs are inserted or removed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, but not good when trying to put on a non-terminated cable from a transducer.

An ok solution may be "aviation connectors" which are commonly used as radio microphone connectors (not DIN type). Cheap and available on Amazon with a variety of pins available. Not pcb friendly, but otherwise not terrible.

I hadn't thought about a pluggable terminal block solution. That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at what's available.

That would make connecting any type of non-terminated transducer (i.e., transducer with a pig tail) easy to connect – easy to use as a terminal block, with the convenience of being able to unplug it.

For a simple and cheap PCB solution you might consider JST sockets, and these could even be panel mounted via a small PCB and a suitable rectangular hole in the panel. You can also buy ready made leads, or wires with pins already crimped on, if you don't want to crimp your own (which isn't really easy - and may not fit the existing wires anyway).

Do all your sensors have cables attached?, if not ready made JST leads are a cheap and simple solution.

Thanks Nigel. I have a bunch of different Chinese modules that use JST connectors for I/O....and I have to say I hate them. Without a matching pigtail, they are almost useless, and even with a pigtail, grafting one to an existing transducer cable is inelegant.

If you standardize on one size, and keep an abundance of pigtails on hand, it could work, but I'm hoping for something a little more polished.

But that does give me an idea. I do have a bunch of 4-pin connectors and jumpers that Elecrow uses in their "Crowtail" system of module interconnects. Using those on pcbs would be handy for test and development and "informal" use, and soldering a pigtail to an "aviation connector" when putting a board in an enclosure could work nicely.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back