Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? Do your LED traffic lights require 220V or 12V?

So you understood that the statement "after connecting a resistor we can apply any voltage " is wrong. So variation of the supply voltage from 11 to 15V will cause a current variation. That is not acceptable to me due to some reasons. I wanted to know a method to regulate my voltage. Of course a DC-DC converter may solve. But expected to hear an expert opinion in the forum. I know there are people in this forum who give good suggestions.

It was a good suggestion. You could also wire up an LM317 as a current regulator instead of the resistor in series with the LED. For what reason is it not acceptable to you? Does your traffic light only have LEDs in it? are there other circuits? Relays? ICs?

It was a good suggestion. You could also wire up an LM317 as a current regulator instead of the resistor in series with the LED. For what reason is it not acceptable to you? Does your traffic light only have LEDs in it? are there other circuits? Relays? ICs?

It is by dropping the excess voltage and thus dissipating power. Is it not?

How is it possible to limit current with out regulating the supply voltage?
A current regulator changes the voltage to maintain a certain current.

If the load is a high resistance then the output voltage of a current regulator goes high.
If the load resistance is low then the output voltage of a current regulator goes low.
If the output is shorted then the output voltage of a current regulator is zero but the regulated amount of current stays the same.

I want the DC supply to be 11 to 12V DC. variation up to 15V is not acceptable. At the same time I want to avoid series dropping and power waste. Was trying to get a cheaper solution than a DC-DC converter.(the word "cheap" may give audioguru an opportunity for some more postings.)

So you understood that the statement "after connecting a resistor we can apply any voltage " is wrong. So variation of the supply voltage from 11 to 15V will cause a current variation. That is not acceptable to me due to some reasons. I wanted to know a method to regulate my voltage. Of course a DC-DC converter may solve. But expected to hear an expert opinion in the forum. I know there are people in this forum who give good suggestions.
HV9910 will run on 8-500V, though the inductor selection is not so forgiving.

Dan

Curiosity

A current regulator changes the voltage to maintain a certain current.

If the load is a high resistance then the output voltage of a current regulator goes high.
If the load resistance is low then the output voltage of a current regulator goes low.
If the output is shorted then the output voltage of a current regulator is zero but the regulated amount of current stays the same.

How did you choose the name "audioguru"? Guru is an Indian word. just because of my curiosity?

A salesman at work called me an Audioguru. I didn't know that a Guru was from India and I didn't know anybody from India.

Cheap? You mean cheep like the sound from a baby bird?
All electronic parts are inexpensive in Canada. Cheap parts come from China and India.

A salesman at work called me an Audioguru. I didn't know that a Guru was from India and I didn't know anybody from India.
I am sure that he is not an Indian. A person who knew the meaning would not have called you by that name. Probably he might have considerd it as an abusive word.:D:D:D:D

Cheap? You mean cheep like the sound from a baby bird?
All electronic parts are inexpensive in Canada. Cheap parts come from China and India.
What is the difference between 'inexpensive' and 'cheap'?

Inexpensive is good quality and a low price.
Cheap is low quality and a low price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back