Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Queries about DC to AC Inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
That's already how inverters work!.

Yeah! But any idea of how I can go about it? I'm thing of paralleling mosfets in H-bridge and switching them on in sets one-after-the-other. (sounds quite weired to me)

Doesn't make that much difference - the input current is directly related to the output current - with lower output current the input current will drop accordingly. Obviously there's a certain amount of waste, with the inverter being less efficient used at lower powers - but probably not enough to make it worth while making it far more complicated?.

Why do you need a 1500W inverter? At max output its current from a 12V battery is about 150A. A big car battery will boil in a couple of minutes and will be dead.

Conserve electricity then use a smaller inverter.
Complain to your electrical utility that their electricity is not reliable.

Well I bought a 1400W inverter (24V DC supply and didn't run my battery) from India and it worked fine until a section of it got fried by extreme high voltage from the utility while I was charging the battery. Obviously the 24v dc source made it draw less current. But going by the chassis temperature, and the average length of time it was on, I believed it drew much lower than you would expect (ordinarily it should gulp 58.3A continually although I rarely load it to its full capacity).

Now I'm thinking of building something similar. Oh! I couldn't return to the manufacturer cos the warranty period elapsed.

The modified square wave you mention is likely to be a 'modified sine' wave I think. This is probably a 'stepped sine'. Invertors of this nature are not a beginners project.

ordinarily it should gulp 58.3A continually
1) You should expect it to draw a small standby current (IMHO much less than 10% of its full-load rating) when unloaded. It should only draw the full input current at full load.

2) If you're looking for a project that would result in a working inverter, it should be far less difficult to repair the one that failed.

mneary said:
2) If you're looking for a project that would result in a working inverter, it should be far less difficult to repair the one that failed.

That's what I tried to do at first until I found out that the burnt chips seem to be custom made and are not available off the shelve.

I wouldn't expect to find many, if any, custom parts in an inverter. Production volume is too low for that. More likely a house marked part or a microcontroller.

Tell us more about the burnt part? Do you have a schematic of the area surrounding the bad part(s)? Inverter maker and model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back