Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test an AC Current Sensor Transformer

ThomsCircuit

I would like to use this to energize a 120vcoil on a relay but I don't know too much about the details of this sensor. Can you help me figure this out and let me know if It can be used to do what I want.

Thanks T.B.

20240421_132232.jpg

So, what do you want to do?
I have a 120v power tool. Stationary belt sander. I will run the line from the tool through the sensor. When i apply power to the tool I'd like to use what is generated to trigger a relay coil. From there I could power a vacuum, or other device. Which would remain running as long as the tool is running.

I made something with a smaller current sensor a few years back. With the help from this group of course. It did trigger a relay which then turned on a 5 second delayed On/Off circuit.

sch.png

I want to know would this sensor work like the smaller one in my schematic. Id like to utilize it in the same manner. I'm not sure how interchangeable these are. I'm sure R1 and the zeener change the output from the sensor to DC so that's my ultimate goal.

The current transformer in the schematic is 1000:1 ratio.
The one in the photo is 10:1 ratio! It is intended to operate an AC ammeter, not any form of electronics.

(What you have drawn as ZD1 is labelled BAT46 - which is a Schottky rectifier , not a zener.)

The output current from the big CT will be 1/10th the current of whatever load is run through it; they are not voltage devices, they are more like a muzzled tesla coil - without the correct load, the secondary voltage will arc over. They are intended to work into a near short circuit.

You need an appropriate current transducer, suitable for driving electronics.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back