Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Queries about DC to AC Inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimper129

I am a student of Electronics Engineering. I want to design 12V DC to 220V AC 500W sine wave Inverter as my final year project. I have read in an article that by using the square wave the size of the wire used in the transformer can be reduced. I dont understand why? Can any one help me in this regards. Thank you.

Regards,

Adnan

I've never heard of this, but I don't know for sure either way. Can you point to where you read this?

I would imagine what he's read about is using a high frequency switch-mode design - where the transformer is only a tiny fraction of the 50/60Hz sized one.

You can use 2 stage DC-AC converter, first stage is a DC-DC, high frequency converter with high frequency transformer and the second stage is a DC-AC converter without transformer. You can make a sine wave modulation in the first or in the second stage of the DC-AC converter.
:)

Adrian,
YOU are supposed to design it, not us. i don't think you are even allowed to copy one from the internet.
We will help you with your design and we will discuss it with you.

Does the sine-wave inverter need to be efficient?

SIR I need a 1000w 12v dc to 220v ac inverter for my home as energy back up. I am very intrusting in electronic projects and want to design it my own.
Can any one plz help me. Kindley send me the circuit.
Thanks.

So it's for home and not for school? Designing it on your own means you come up with the schematic does it not?

**broken link removed**

Try using Google. It took me 10 seconds to find this.

We should watch out. Somebody is being called a SIR! A knight in shining armour. I think it is an insult.

It would take 14 of those simple inverters in parallel to have an output of 1kW.
A car battery would boil with the resulting current of 100A. It would last only for a few minutes.

Gotta have some challenge left. Nothing is a better learning experience than watching your circuit fry and your battery melt.

dimper129 said:
I want to design 12V DC to 220V AC 500W sine wave Inverter as my final year project.

If you can actually produce such a design, verified and tested to your specification, then you will have no difficulty in finding any well paid job after graduation.

Even building one from an existing design involves many special skills.

Point is, most of us here know how difficult it is to produce one and with your limited time and experience, the odds are well against you.

Last edited:
can any one describe me the difference between square wave and modified square wave inverter. which one produce good out put.

I would think modified has better performance because it's "modified" which means it came after and people tend not to modify things to make them worse.

**broken link removed**

It is called a Modified Sine-wave inverter. Look in Google.
The wave is a square-wave with a step in it so it has almost the same high peak voltage as a sine-wave.

Attachments

• Modified Sine-wave Inverter.PNG
    Modified Sine-wave Inverter.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 312
I have noticed that my 10v-0v-10v to 22ov inverter transformer produce nearly 320v on the volt indicator while driving from square wave. On the other hand while running with modified square wave the transformer shows 220v on the voltage indicator but when alittle load is applied to the transformer the output voltage drops to a very low level.
can any one tell why the voltage drops.
another while running with square wave the out put is why too high.

You forgot to attach the schematic of your inverter showing parts numbers and its transformer power rating. We don't know what is its supply voltage and the current rating of the supply.

You cannot accurately measure the output voltage of a square-wave inverter with an ordinary voltmeter that is calibrated for a sine-wave. I doubt that my True-RMS voltmeter will read the square-wave's voltage accurately.

audioguru said:
I doubt that my True-RMS voltmeter will read the square-wave's voltage accurately.

If it doesn't you ought to complain bitterly to the manufacturer! - the whole point of true-RMS is that it reads accurately whatever the waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back