Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to the world of circuitry and I've run into a problem (atari punk console)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narcisto

I'm trying to construct a stepped tone generator, atari punk console as it's popularly named.
I've found schematics for a circuit consisting of two 555 timers instead of a 556 as many are designed around
I've double-checked and concluded that I've constructed it correctly as according to the schematics (with minute changes). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working.
I have managed to contact the designer of this picture, he said he'd look it over but meanwhile I'd like to have more assistance on any noticeable missing traces you could help me fill in.
I tried getting pictures of my circuit but i don't have much of a camera, just my phone. It doesn't really capture it well enough to make out the circuits. But here is a picture of what I'm working from.

**broken link removed**

The changes I've made is just there's no switch or led, the location of R2 (I've looked over it and it's constructed the same in the end) and instead of going to an output jack right now, it's connected to a speaker.
I've tested putting in an LED and it works fine but that's not really relevant to my problem I don't think.
Also, the left chip gets really really hot if that's of significance.
Looking forward to your assistance. Thanks in advance.

hi,
Are the 555's correctly orientated, that is, is pin#1 as shown by the small round 'grey' dot [ on the drawing]

If you take out IC1 does IC2 still get hot.?

hi,
Are the 555's correctly orientated, that is, is pin#1 as shown by the small round 'grey' dot [ on the drawing]

If you take out IC1 does IC2 still get hot.?

I do have them oriented correctly, it shows it in the diagram how to position them.
I bought little slots for the chips so i could remove them and such or in case i did do it wrong. Removing the chip i didn't notice any excessive heat in the area.
I'm wondering at this point if any of the components could have become damaged in the construction process.

Last edited:
I do have them oriented correctly, it shows it in the diagram how to position them.
I bought little slots for the chips so i could remove them and such or in case i did do it wrong. Removing the chip i didn't notice any excessive heat in the area.
I'm wondering at this point if any of the components could have become damaged in the construction process.

hi,
Do you have a circuit diagram you could post.?

hi,
Do you have a circuit diagram you could post.?

Does the picture not show up?
Or do you mean like an actual diagram, cause I don't think I know of one for this or generally the dual 555 but there's plenty for 556

Last edited:
Does the picture not show up?
Or do you mean like an actual diagram, cause I don't think I know of one for this or generally the dual 555 but there's plenty for 556

hi,
The picture shows up OK.

I just dont want to have to draw a circuit from the picture.

I have all the 555's 556 datasheets, thats not the problem.

As you dont have the circuit I'll have to sketch it out.:rolleyes:

hi,
The picture shows up OK.

I just dont want to have to draw a circuit from the picture.

I have all the 555's 556 datasheets, thats not the problem.

As you dont have the circuit I'll have to sketch it out.:rolleyes:

Ah I see, convenience. Sorry I don't have it. :(

Last edited:
Hi,
Look at this circuit and check it with your picture.

By posting this circuit someone may help with the fault.

The drawing is awful and quick.:eek:

The different colours are used to show crossing lines.

Last edited:
Yikes, things are really switched around between the 2 but I can kinda read it (I'm not familiar with reading diagrams I've basically just thrown myself into this) but I'm catching onto what both say and comparing but I would still need someone else to locate fault. Thank you for your help with this. :D

Yikes, things are really switched around between the 2 but I can kinda read it (I'm not familiar with reading diagrams I've basically just thrown myself into this) but I'm catching onto what both say and comparing but I would still need someone else to locate fault. Thank you for your help with this. :D

Hi,
This is the circuit drawing, drawn from the picture, its much clearer than that crappy sketch I posted yesterday.

Check the wires and components are connected on YOUR pcb against the drawing.
Use coloured pencils to trace the tracks/connections onto the drawing as you check each connection.

Do you follow.?

Last edited:
Hi,
This is the circuit drawing, drawn from the picture, its much clearer than that crappy sketch I posted yesterday.

Check the wires and components are connected on YOUR pcb against the drawing.
Use coloured pencils to trace the tracks/connections onto the drawing as you check each connection.

Do you follow.?

I follow it a little, like I said I'm not completely familiar with actual schematics but I'm catching on.
I'm a little confused about the pins in your diagram, the 8 and 4 are the top l/r pins, right? and are they to be oriented with the dots down on both?

This is a diagram to be if it were complete and working, right?

Because I'm more concerned about the integrity of the diagram I followed than my own faults as I have compared a dozen times to be sure.

Sorry for so many questions

hi,
Look at the attached drawing.
This layout is standard for all 8 pin DIL ic's

This is the TOP VIEW.

Last edited:
ok so, the schematic you posted is a sure working design, correct? i havent had a chance to get to devising a layout but im off for 2 days so i should get some work done.

im currently in the process of making the circuit again.
i drew out your sketch and also found a pic of a layout. i cant find the pics now, but it had both astable and monostable modes so i matched them to the schematic and then made a layout.

**broken link removed****broken link removed**

now, i thought id try to test it with just the first chip, i get a click when power comes on so it gets through. but no tone or anything continuous. no change with the pot. which im also unsure of if i have it connected properly.

so im curious as to if it should be properly constructed in this half if it should make a sound. the chip gets real hot too, like it did before. dunno if this is normal.

argh i feel im just making the same thing over again

the guy hasnt gotten around to building it himself
anyone have any input on the design? it'd be much appreciated
sorry if i seem pushy

What kind of speaker are you using? I can imagine if you use a 8Ohm speaker, the 555 can get hot!

Try using a different speaker or use a tranistor to let the speaker sound...

8 ohm is fine. Just be sure you use a decoupling capacitor.

8 ohm is fine. Just be sure you use a decoupling capacitor.

hmm, didn't think about the type of speaker i was using. it's from some disassembled harman kardon speakers. i did think to connect the capacitor with it to test. maybe i just need to complete both timer circuits before i get the proper flow. can't seem to find any real distinguishing marks on the speaker except ST 0B3 or something on the back of the magnet.

argh i feel im just making the same thing over again

the guy hasnt gotten around to building it himself
anyone have any input on the design? it'd be much appreciated
sorry if i seem pushy

I guess I'm too old for this stuff, since I have no idea what a punk console is supposed to do.

I do know 555's however, and I have serious doubts the layout as shown will ever accomplish much.

First, the set-up is backwards, I believe. The monostable is supposed to trigger the astable. According to the layout (a very pretty picture, by the way) and Eric's interpretation of the schematic, this circuit attempts to trigger the mono with the astable.

Analyzing the circuit with the 555 Timer Pro computer program, it appears the astable 555 would produce a frequency between 287 Hz at maximum resistance, and 47KHz (20K or so above normal hearing, I believe) with just a small resistance.

If that were to make it to the mono, and to the speaker or jack, the tone would sound for 27 milliseconds at the mid-point of the mono's controlling resistor.

Don't mean to throw cold water on your project, but I feel you have lots of work left getting it to operate. Hope I'm wrong in my analysis, and I'm here to help if I can.

Edit:
Also, the LED will never show very brightly at around l.5 mA current.

Last edited:
sorry for the lingo term, i realize i really should have used the technical term which is stepped tone generator. it's more commonly made with a 556 but i decided to go for 555 for aesthetic reasons. i probably could save a lot of time and try to convert a 556 shcematic to a dual 555

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back