Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

atari punk color organ

MrDEB

curious if this has ever been done or even possible.
Am playing around building an Atari Punk Console but thinking of adding LEDs that are controlled by 3 band pass filters (low, mid high)
this is for another project for grandson to drive his parents nut with the sound and amuse him with the LEDs.

Attachments

• vibra punk circuit.png
    vibra punk circuit.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 152
  • color organ schematic.pdf
    106.7 KB · Views: 158
The Harris P-channel Mosfet is an ordinary old Mosfet that needs 10V gate-source to fully turn on.
EDIT: You posted the datasheet of a different more common 10V Mosfet.

Maybe it's time to actually understand what "gate to source" voltage means. I believe it's been explained rather succinctly in at leat one of the multiple threads MrDEB has going.

I think audioguru looking at wrong schematic (my fault).
using this schematic, the gate on the P channel mosfet being driven with 12v.
need to recheck the data sheet again

Attachments

• mosfet-3904.png
    mosfet-3904.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 100
here is a better description on my projects Hopefully the math is correct
LED NEON STRIP DESIGN

I have 3-Led strip projects

Design criteria

power supply = 12volts 5A max

LED neon strips = 12V

current draw = 0.8A/meter at 12volts (16.4 feet uncut length)

Desired current draw per Led strip section <= 1A ( .8A per 3.28feet) = .243A)

Each channel driving an Led strip per inch = .243A (1meter = 3.280feet / 12 = .273 inches

Keep sections of Led neon strips <= 3 feet = .8A per section

Original design called for IRL520 MOSFETS

revised for logic level Mosfets as suggested RFP12N0L ratedfor 12A Rds(on) = .200ohms

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/1/RFP12N10L_D-2319858.pdf

The P channel mosfets https://www.vishay.com/docs/91167/irfi9630g.pdf

for driving the LED neon strips driven by color organ output

An old IRF520 Mosfet needs a 10V gate voltage to fully turn on.
A newer IRL520 Mosfet is logic level (see the "L"?) and needs a gate voltage of 5V to fully turn on.

the 16.4 ft. strip draws 5A [16.4' = 1 meter]

connected to a 5m/16.4ft of led neon strip

specs are 12v .8A/meter 9.5W/meter (5m = 48W)

[Don't know where these numbers came from – use the more believable 5 amps for the 5 meter strip]

Your math in the above post has some head-scratching errors and distractions.

First, if a 5 meter strip draws 5 amps, it draws 1 amp/meter.

Let's start from there, and convert to mA:

Strip draws 1000mA/meter-->

Strip draws 1000mA/meter × 1 meter/3.28 feet = 305mA/foot-->

Strip draws 305mA/foot × 1 foot/12 inches = 25.4mA/inch

Computing your FET junction temp rise depends on Ohm's law for Thermodynamics using the thermal resistance times the loss in Watts or mW. You got into trouble using 5V on the old IRF series then I showed why using 200 mOhm . I think you mistook that to be an ideal switch because soon after we understood you didn't have to rely on 5V nor were you using 9V but in fact 12V. Now that you have bought (?) 200 mohm switches, you will need thermal cooling . You would have been far better off with the IRZ44 but Nr. Nigel said incorrectly that it was a poor choice. (too soon)

So I don't know what you are going to do next.

It stays much simpler in metric. 1mA/mm. Obviously, the original spec was metric. However, if in imperial and 1yard = 1A it still get VERY confusing, 1 inch = 27.8mA.

Mike.

I highly recommend you buy a dozen of the IRLZ44 type Nch FETs which are inexpensive and only 24 mohms in a TO220 package. The IRLZ series is 10x better than the IRL series for low resistance which is both a low voltage drive and better than the old IRF series which needs >= 10V drive.

Then you will NOT need heatsinks or NPN inverting switches to raise the 5V to 12V to drive the old IRF switches.

When you need 4A for 5m strip, the switch voltage drop tells you the resistance V/I=R if you know the current and measure the voltage.

The 48A rating only applies to pulses unless you have a CPU forced air heartsink with insulator.

It stays much simpler in metric. 1mA/mm. Obviously, the original spec was metric. However, if in imperial and 1yard = 1A it still get VERY confusing, 1 inch = 27.8mA.

Mike.

Very true, but considering the audience....

Mixing systems will cause inconsistencies and electricity tends to be metric, is there an imperial system for Amps/Volts etc. I know there is for heat and energy (BTU and Ergs?) but much prefer Joules.

Mike.

Mixing systems will cause inconsistencies and electricity tends to be metric, is there an imperial system for Amps/Volts etc. I know there is for heat and energy (BTU and Ergs?) but much prefer Joules.

Mike.

Amps are amps, volts are volts, power in watts, and watts/horsepower = one half the year Columbus "discovered" America (1492 --> 746).

There's enough confuse in the 3 overlapping and co-mingled threads MrDEB has going already without introducing more.

will look at buying the IRLZ44 but will I ever get above 2A current draw per channel?
After Popcorn deciphered my crazy math, I purchased a map measuring wheel tool (2.5ma per inch) so I can better design the led neon sign. Keeping the current draw per channel < 2A per channel.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back