Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Huge transformer pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAce

Greetings fellows, I have a pretty hefty transformer I pulled from an older amp that has 10 outputs on it. A set of 7 and then a set of three. Whats the best way to figure out whats what on it? Some of the outputs have green resistors on them.

Runs on 110v obviously, I have it plugged in, getting different voltages between the 10 outputs, but not sure which ones to link up. I will be running multiple voltage regulators, so I want to take advantage of the multiple outputs.

Tag on it reads

88-NFT-621-01
75J033HD
TAM TH 9834

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Take a piece of paper, measure the continuity between all connectors and draw it. Then measure voltages between all connectors and figure out what you have:)

Please keep in mind you measure the continuity with the power removed, the hard part is determining the power ability of each output, you can use dummy loads to get an idea of it.

A picture of it might help.

The green "resistors" on the little board are each marked 7AMP 125v or 10AMP 125 volt. I will only be using 1AMP voltage regulators per two wires. Am I pretty safe to pick any two wires that have an acceptable voltage and use them? The readings are around
even 60 volts

You need to show pictures, transformers don't have components on them, what you have is a compound device, probably a transformer with rectifiers and/or protection devices on the PCB.

You are not safe to do anything until what you're posting makes sense. Again I say please post some decent quality photo's.

The green "resistors" on the little board are each marked 7AMP 125v or 10AMP 125 volt. I will only be using 1AMP voltage regulators per two wires. Am I pretty safe to pick any two wires that have an acceptable voltage and use them? The readings are around
even 60 volts

With component markings like those, the 'resisters" are really fuses. Probably Littlefuse Pico series.

Do you know how the transformer was wired up in the original amp? That would give you a good idea of what the secondary windings are.

Here is the picture, as requested

The green "resistors" have writing on them, F10A or F7A

Last edited:
I would imagine the highest voltage you'll get is between the outermost of the 10 pins. What would be nice to know is if this transformer is centerpoint-grounded or endpoint-grounded. You might try testing continuity between each of the output pins and the transformer core. Some transformers will measure little to no resistance between the core and one of the pins. That pin will be your ground.

Being it was inan audio amplifier the 30 volt tap as you refer to it is probibly the center ground or common point with +- 15 and 30 volt pairs of rails going out from that.

if it came out of a receiver, most of the secondaries are going to be center tapped. most amplifiers and receivers use bipolar supplies, so the secondaries for the output stage supply and the preamp circuit supplies will be center tapped. you may have one 12V non-center tapped supply for logic and relays. one or more of the pins on the transformer could be non-connected...

even 60 volts

this looks like a dual voltage center tapped secondary for +/-30, and +/-15. the pin you marked as "30" is actually the center tap, the "15" and "45" pins are 15V, and the "0" (whichever end you used as common) and "60" pins are the 30V outputs. this leaves 5 pins unaccounted for, and they may be another center tapped winding and a non-center tapped winding, or another dual voltage winding.

The outputs are as follows

First set of three are
Pin 1 -7amp
Pin 2 -center tap (I assume)
Pin 3 -7amp

Then the set of 7
Pin 4 - appears to be connected to pin 10 internally
Pin 5 -10amp
Pin 6 -10amp
Pin 7 -Would appear to be center tap for Pins 5,6,8,9
Pin 8 -10amp
Pin 9 -10amp
pin 10 -seems to be connected to pin 4 internally

I'll use pins 5 through 10 and use pin -7 as my ground.

The outputs are as follows

First set of three are
Pin 1 -7amp
Pin 2 -center tap (I assume)
Pin 3 -7amp

Then the set of 7
Pin 4 - appears to be connected to pin 10 internally
Pin 5 -10amp
Pin 6 -10amp
Pin 7 -Would appear to be center tap for Pins 5,6,8,9
Pin 8 -10amp
Pin 9 -10amp
pin 10 -seems to be connected to pin 4 internally

I'll use pins 5 through 10 and use pin -7 as my ground.
Are pins 4 and 10 connected to anything else?

ok, 4 and 10 arent connected as I thought. Heres what I'm getting

Pins 1-3 are a set of their own.

Pins 4 through 10 are a set with 7 as the common or middle.
Between 7 and pins 4, 10, I get 20v
Between 7 and pins 5, 9 I get 30v
Between 7 and pins 6, 8 I get 15v

Its just that pins 4 and 10 arent fused on the board.

Last edited:
Please be aware that the fuse ratings are the fault limits of the transformer. Not how much current you can expect to draw from them continuously. I would not plan to draw more than 50% of those numbers. Also remember that once you go through a rectifier and into your filter caps, that the voltage will be about 40% higher than the AC voltage. So you need to further reduce your load current. Please read the discussion in the following thread.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/power-supply-questions.127780/

Your "unconnected" pins could to to the copper electrostsic band on the xformer.

Sorta sounds like a transformer for an amp that has multiple rails depending on the power level. Those amps are tough to troubleshoot. I only saw one of them.

check and see if 4 and 10 go to the transformer shield

btw, the more i look at that picture, the more it screams SONY...... am i close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back