Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garden lights circuit will this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakethepup

I am going to use a 6 volt battery to power about 8 leds the white or color changing leds not sure which but both are rated at 3.3 to 3.8 volts. I want the photocell to turn the LED's on around dust and off at dawn.

I am wondering if this would work and would I have to change things around to make this circuit work.

Sorry I don't know much about electronics, so be kind if I am way off base. I found the drawing here on this site and mod, it some to see if you guys think this might work for what I want to do.

Thanks,

**broken link removed**

hi Jake,
The 100R will draw 60mA from the 6Vbty and the LED only 6mA.

The battery life could be quite short, what data to you have on the photocell light detector.?

Last edited:
The Photocells are Cadmium Sulfide that came from radioShack they have no values on the package, kind of a grab bag of 5 different values. I do have a digital voltmeter I guess I need to check them and see what values they are.

Other information I have the battery is a 4.5 AH, 6 volt and the Leds are 3.3- 3.8 volts at 25 ma's.

If the can get the circuit to function I want to add a solar cell to keep the battery charged but will be another project.

The Photocells are Cadmium Sulfide that came from radioShack they have no values on the package, kind of a grab bag of 5 different values. I do have a digital voltmeter I guess I need to check them and see what values they are.

Other information I have the battery is a 4.5 AH, 6 volt and the Leds are 3.3- 3.8 volts at 25 ma's.

If the can get the circuit to function I want to add a solar cell to keep the battery charged but will be another project.

hi,
If you post the DVM [light and dark] voltages perhaps we can suggest changes to the circuit.
I dont think the circuit you posted will work..:(

Last edited:
In the sunlight the photocell tests at 152.6 and with my finger over it while inside it measures 45.8

Hope that helps some.

Thanks a bunch

In the sunlight the photocell tests at 152.6 and with my finger over it while inside it measures 45.8

Hope that helps some.

Thanks a bunch
hi,
I assume those values are ohms.?

What npn and pnp transistors do you have.?

Yes the value is in OHM's I have not purchased the transistor yet, I thought I would wait and get that if the drawing would work, so the only thing I have on hand are the photocells, the battery, and a couple of the Leds, and some Misc, resistors.

Thanks

Yes the value is in OHM's I have not purchased the transistor yet, I thought I would wait and get that if the drawing would work, so the only thing I have on hand are the photocells, the battery, and a couple of the Leds, and some Misc, resistors.

Thanks

hi,
The circuit I would choose is a npn/pnp amplifier.
How do you plan to connect the LED's, how many and what voltage are they.?

EDIT: where are you located.?

Last edited:
I plan on connecting about 6 to 8 leds, the voltage on the packages states that they are 3.2 to 3.8 volts and draw 25 ma, I plan on connecting the LEDs in parallel.

Last edited:
I plan on connecting about 6 to 8 leds, the voltage on the packages states that they are 3.2 to 3.8 volts and draw 25 ma, I plan on connecting the LEDs in parallel.

You cannot connect LED's of different voltages in parallel, using a common resistor.

Maybe I am missing something but the LED's are the same voltage, the voltage I quoted are the operating voltages on the packages, they are all the same size. Sorry like I said I don't know much about electronics just trying to learn as I go.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing something but the LED's are the same voltage, the voltage I quoted are the operating voltages on the packages, they are all the same size. Sorry like I said I don't know much about electronics just trying to learn as I go.

hi jake,
You say the LED's are in a pack marked 3.2V to 3.8V, the LED's are not matched.

I would suggest that you get a 150R resistor with the 6Vbty and check the voltage across each LED. You may be able to get a matched set. OK.

I have looked at some circuit options using the photo cell, its not the best choice of light/dark detector when using a battery power source, there is only a 100R change from light to dark.

I would suggest you look as some light dependant resistors LDR's or phototransistors instead of the photocell.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks a bunch

I don't believe that, the resistance should be higher with your finger covering it, not lower.

Ok on the photo cell I used another one out of the package and here are the results I got in the light measures 4k with my finger over the cell it measures 36k I am guessing that are better results.

Ok on the photo cell I used another one out of the package and here are the results I got in the light measures 4k with my finger over the cell it measures 36k I am guessing that are better results.

hi jake,
So you are confirming that light=4K and dark=36K.?

Thats a better choice, a 32K change is much better than 100R.!

Do you want me to draw up a circuit.?

Did you test each LED's voltage drop as I suggested, it is important.

Do you have a part number for that photo-cell.?

These are possible readings, while the first two has a missing kilo or Miga.

While measuring a resistance try not to touch the multimeter leads because it will measure your body resistance along with the resistor.

I would love for you to draw up the circuit, the part number for the photocell, is from Radioshack and the part number is 276-1657

I would love for you to draw up the circuit, the part number for the photocell, is from Radioshack and the part number is 276-1657

hi,
Eventually found the part.
They call it a photo-cell, which is not quite correct, a photo-cell actually generates a voltage when illuminated,
thats what threw me a curve.:)

Its really a Cds photo-resistor.

For the circuit I must know how many matched LED's you are going to have to light.

Last edited:

Sorry, i have no circuit for this specific photocel, instead you may benefet of this circuit ( got some where on web )

Attachments

• Dark_detector.GIF
    Dark_detector.GIF
    3.8 KB · Views: 151
Sorry, i have no circuit for this specific photocel, instead you may benefet of this circuit ( got some where on web )

hi aljamri,:)
The problem is the OP wants to use a 6Vbty, I suspect he wants to keep the current drain to a minimum.
Driving a relay would put an extra burden on the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back