Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garden lights circuit will this work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the way to get the correct size of resistor to check the LED's I thought I better do this first before purchasing all the other parts. I will check the led's tonight and post the results.

OK,
Lets know the results.:)

Ok out of 8 leds, with the correct resistor type 6 out of the 8 leds were 3.6 volts 1 was 3.2 volts and one was 3.4 volts.

The Ic Lm393 RadioShack does not have it, but it appears they have every thing else. I did not purchase anything other than the resistors to test the LED's, but I took the list of parts and it appears they sell everything else.

Ok out of 8 leds, with the correct resistor type 6 out of the 8 leds were 3.6 volts 1 was 3.2 volts and one was 3.4 volts.

The Ic Lm393 RadioShack does not have it, but it appears they have every thing else. I did not purchase anything other than the resistors to test the LED's, but I took the list of parts and it appears they sell everything else.

hi jake,
I would suggest you start with only 6 of the 3.6V LED's [keep 2 for spares]

From a 6Vbty- 3.6V = 2.4V......... allow about 15mA/LED say 100mA total.
That requires a 24R resistor [ nearest pref value is 22R, gives 18mA/LED] in series with the LED's which are connected in parallel.
Use at least a 0.5Watt resistor, higher wattage OK if you have one.

You can now do a simple test for the light intensity [brilliance] by connecting the 22R resistor
and the 6 LED's in parallel across the 6Vbty.

If you prefer, you could have a resistor for each LED, a 120R for each LED would give 20mA/LED.
This is the way I would do it.

EDIT: doing it this way, would allow adding other LED's of different voltages, each with its own value resistor.

Do you follow OK.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back