Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

False triggering of a 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google does not know about a "mall rectangular", 9V, E style battery. I think the problems are caused by the battery or LM317 being overloaded by the high starting current of the pump.
You can add some "power up reset" parts to fix the timer triggering on power up problem and maybe a capacitor larger than the 1uF at the output of the LM317 to fix the timer triggering when the switch is used problem.

Google does not know about a "mall rectangular", 9V, E style battery. I think the problems are caused by the battery or LM317 being overloaded by the high starting current of the pump.
You can add some "power up reset" parts to fix the timer triggering on power up problem and maybe a capacitor larger than the 1uF at the output of the LM317 to fix the timer triggering when the switch is used problem.

Thanks. I attached a picture of the 9V battery. I understand what you are getting at. Not sure what you mean by "power up reset" parts, can you be more specific.
I already have a 220 uF cap between the output of the LM317 and ground, do you mean putting a 1uF between pin 2 (Vout) and pin 1 (ADJ)?

Cheers,

Jacques

Attachments

• 9V battery.jpg
    9V battery.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 134
That is your problem! You show a photo of a weak ordinary little 9V battery that probably "falls flat on its face" (its voltage drops very low) when it is overloaded by the high starting current of the pump. Use a much larger battery (six AA or D alkaline cells?).
Also, in my post #9 I mentioned the wrong connection of your capacitor parallel to the 240 ohm resistor on the LM317.

Pin 4 on a 555 resets it when it is at a low voltage. If you connect a discharged capacitor to ground on pin 4 then the 555 is reset during power up, then add a resistor to slowly charge the capacitor and activate the 555 after power up. A 47uF capacitor and 10k resistor will produce a power up reset time of 47uF x 10k= 470ms which is almost half a second.

That is your problem! You show a photo of a weak ordinary little 9V battery that probably "falls flat on its face" (its voltage drops very low) when it is overloaded by the high starting current of the pump. Use a much larger battery (six AA or D alkaline cells?).
Also, in my post #9 I mentioned the wrong connection of your capacitor parallel to the 240 ohm resistor on the LM317.

Pin 4 on a 555 resets it when it is at a low voltage. If you connect a discharged capacitor to ground on pin 4 then the 555 is reset during power up, then add a resistor to slowly charge the capacitor and activate the 555 after power up. A 47uF capacitor and 10k resistor will produce a power up reset time of 47uF x 10k= 470ms which is almost half a second.
The voltage on a new battery usually falls to about 8.2. Unfortunately I do not have more room for a bigger battery. I have tried (2) 9V in parallel at one point and this did not help.

I don't know where post #9 is or I would look it up. Here a revised schematic with your pin 4 recommendation.

Attachments

• elec schematic manual switch diode-1.jpg
    elec schematic manual switch diode-1.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 142
You could try decoupling the +ve supply to the timer, like this :
Decoupling.JPG
D2,C2 hold the voltage up when the motor start-up current tries to drag it down.

Just tried the cap. on pin 4 , no help.

Just tried the cap. on pin 4 , no help.
1) Disconnect pin 4 from anything else like away from pin 8.
2) Add the 10uF capacitor from pin 4 to 0V (ground) which is at pin 1.
3) Add the 10k resistor from pin4 and the capacitor connection to the positive supply which is pin 8.
They the circuit will have half a second of power up reset.

1) Disconnect pin 4 from anything else like away from pin 8.
2) Add the 10uF capacitor from pin 4 to 0V (ground) which is at pin 1.
3) Add the 10k resistor from pin4 and the capacitor connection to the positive supply which is pin 8.
They the circuit will have half a second of power up reset.
Yes, I have tied this.

Attachments

• elec schematic manual switch diode-1.jpg
    elec schematic manual switch diode-1.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 127
Try this:
upload_2017-3-14_13-56-17.png

TIP110 won't need a heatsink at 150mA, the 27R resistor charges up the 220uF cap to ~9v, which should be enough energy to get the motor running, then Vmotor drops to 5v (if motor runs too fast, recalculate 27R resistor).

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-14_13-55-58.png
    upload_2017-3-14_13-55-58.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 110
Since the power up reset does not work then increase its duration by increasing the 10k resistor on pin 4 to 100k .

I found the datasheet of a 9V Chinese "super heavy duty" old style battery. A brand new one can barely provide 40mA and your pump draws much higher starting current.
The LM317 needs a minimum input that is about 7V but the cheap little 9V battery voltage will be much lower. A modern alkaline battery or a much newer Lithium battery might work.

Attachments

• cheap 9V battery with loading.png
    cheap 9V battery with loading.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Energizer 9V lithium battery.png
    Energizer 9V lithium battery.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 97
Try the 2N2222A before you buy anything else, a 555 should source plenty of current. However, refer to Audioguru's comment about the battery - here (UK) we have 9v batteries in the shape of "PP3" and a good quality one has plenty of power - I just tried one (an Energizer) on a 6v motor. Just out of interest, what are you pumping?

we have 9v batteries in the shape of "PP3" and a good quality one has plenty of power
.... but not for long. PP3 capacity is only ~500mAh, so a pump current of 150mA would flatten the battery in ~ 3hrs or less.

.... but not for long. PP3 capacity is only ~500mAh, so a pump current of 150mA would flatten the battery in ~ 3hrs or less.
But the important problem is that the battery voltage drops so fast that the LM317 regulator does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back