Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

Just watch the last 10 seconds or so. The title?? Melt metal with magnets??

Is this fake? It appears he is placing magnets in an induction heater of sorts fully suspending them and the magnets melt into molten metal.
First, how would he get the magnets to levitate so effortlessly without sensors or anything to counter balance?
Second, I thought magnets had a Sertain point where they lose their magnetism when exposed to heat way before melting.
Anyway, this just bugged me. Any explanation would be great on how or if this works.
-Ben

Who says those cylinders are magnets? Looks like a small cylinder of aluminum or something. Heating/melting with induction isn't new...There are induction furnaces for melting metals. And that coil doesn't look much different (somewhat larger) than a commercial product used for heating bolts to red hot to loosen.

Who says those cylinders are magnets? Looks like a small cylinder of aluminum or something. Heating/melting with induction isn't new...There are induction furnaces for melting metals. And that coil doesn't look much different (somewhat larger) than a commercial product used for heating bolts to red hot to loosen.
Ok, guess his title was a little misleading for me. What about the levitation then?

I suspect Lenz's law might have something to do with it. Is that coil tapered?

Mike.

Notice the top of the coil,
the copper wire comes in from the RF generator,
makes one turn clockwise and then goes out to a loop and reverses direction
and the remaining turns are made in the anti-clockwise direction.

Also notice that the slug of metal being heated is "levitated" at the place where the coil turns change direction.

JimB

Notice the top of the coil,
the copper wire comes in from the RF generator,
makes one turn clockwise and then goes out to a loop and reverses direction
and the remaining turns are made in the anti-clockwise direction.

Also notice that the slug of metal being heated is "levitated" at the place where the coil turns change direction.

JimB
That’s pretty cool. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back