Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ENdless Rotation Potentiometers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mvs sarma said:
I hope even a 90 deg actual rotation sufficient for ANTENNA As such normal pot may serve well

What? Please explain.

i feel, that an antenna mounted outside needs to be turned at the max by 90 degrees to complete the directional search. we don't have to rotate it more because, after 90 degrees the same positions repeat with sides changed. to clarify, vertical left will become vertical right later.
so i felt the antenna if positioned east-west needs max north-south that is all and it amounts 90 degrees.
thus many pot with 270 rotation can manage it. with a 1:3 ratio.
that is to say , pot rotates 270 degrees for antenna rotation of 90 deg

hope i am able to make it clear, with my limited vocabulary.

ps: i enjoy your caption regarding Experience. (nice it is)

Last edited:
There is a beast know as a "dual wiper potentiometer". This is not a digitial pot. Fascinating Electronics uses one in their wind vane kit.

It uses two wipers. The dead spots are offset so you can get a good reading from at least on wiper. There are no stops.

I do not know where to find them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, you've not made it clear? - 360 degree rotation is essential - I used to use an 8 element 2m yagi on a rotator.

Fine. I appreciate now better.
i was aiming at Loop antenna

mvs sarma said:
i feel, that an antenna mounted outside needs to be turned at the max by 90 degrees to complete the directional search. we don't have to rotate it more because, after 90 degrees the same positions repeat with sides changed.

For a simple loop antenna with a symetrical bi-directional radiation pattern, this is true.

However, most antennas with a bit of gain (yagi, quad, axial mode helix, etc) have an omni-directional radiation pattern. And so to make maximum use of such an antenna, you need to be able to rotate it through 360 degrees.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back