Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor Rotation Change, Strange Wiring?! Help!

LondonBoards

Hi dudes and dudette’s..

Get ready for the old ‘little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing’…

Iv got a load of motors which we’re going to be scrapped, I saved them and mean to use them some day.. the first one I can use on my lathe, but I need to flip the direction of rotation.

Most motors Iv looked in before have 2 link bars and you flip them around to swap rotation, this motor has just 1 link bar. Iv thought about trying to flip it but feel I may melt something so best to ask.

If anyone could tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.
It would also be pretty awesome if I could somehow wire it to rotate either direction with the flick of a switch. Iv wired things like electric windows in cars using DTDP switches, is this viable if I get rid of the link bar and wire it instead? If I use a DTDP switch to control direction and have a separate on/off switch, would that be ok

It’s a 1940’s Myford lathe that I rescued from a scrap yard 10yrs ago, part way through restoring it, be great to finally get the thing running.

Iv also got a few other motors, one of which is quite interesting, I’ll make another thread for that when I get a minute to take some pics and workout what I’m doing with it.

Attachments

• IMG_6862.jpeg
    IMG_6862.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6833.jpeg
    IMG_6833.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6834.jpeg
    IMG_6834.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6873.jpeg
    IMG_6873.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
To try and clarify things, you should disconnect all the connections and measure the respective resistances of the winding connections., the caps appear in parallel, what values?
Make sure you keep a record of the wiring connections

It looks like someone has already swapped brown <> green? I'd guess that is the start winding?

I'd just take the two wires off U1, lower left.
I believe you will find one has continuity to U2 & is the start winding, and the other, run winding, has continuity to W1.

Reverse the start winding and it should run the opposite way?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back