Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ENdless Rotation Potentiometers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hello. I was staring at a servo (not exactly an RC sevo, but similar with serial protocals and a butt load of other features) and it had the ability to be software configured for 300 degree limit or continuous rotation. I was wondering how they managed to do this with a potentiometer (as I have never seen one that did not have end limits). I had assumed they used some fancy magnetic absolute encoder or something since that is the cheapest smallest thing I have seen that allows for absolute position sensing with no end limits. But the manual says something a potentiometer....so I'm just wondering...are there potentiomters with no end limits?

Thanks!

I know that's what you do to physically modify them. BUt this servo was software configurable. Like I could program it for continuous rotation OR program it for 300 degree limited rotation.

I haven't heard of one but I don't see why there couldn't be one considering the wiper contact could easily slide continuously along the graphite annular resistive element. I would imagine most potentiometer mfgs just stick some mechanical stop in there so it won't do it.

*consults google*
here's a patent on it:
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/4117386.html

Yeah, they're definately digital. I'm just curious about the encoding *scratches head*

Are you trying to duplicate it or just figure it out?
A grey encoder wheel would be one way, the other is a stepper motor with a hall effects sensor for the middle position. I'm sure there are quite a few ways to do it.

JUst figure out. If they did it one way it would convince me more to buy them than if they did it another way. I would replicate it using that magnetic encoder, except I have no motors, servo case, or gears. It's not a stepper I Know that. If they did it any way other than a potentiometer it would convince me to buy it more.

Steering motors on my rock crawling robot. THese have a serial protocal and temperature, current, torque, etc feedback so I wouldnt need to build my own (it looks like it would be realy hard to fit everything I want to into a standard servo case). THey also run off 12V so I Can use 12V for my drive motors and not need to step down the voltage for the servos (or drive everything with 7V since I don't want to use a regulator for the servo motors).

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
....so I'm just wondering...are there potentiomters with no end limits?

Yes.
I have one somewhere, it came out of some ex-military piece of electro-mechanical equipment.
It has full 360 degree rotation and jumps from one end of the track to another over a range of a couple of degrees.

The question just occured to me, does it short the ends to the track together as is travels through the end point?
I dont know.

JimB

JimB said:
Yes.
I have one somewhere, it came out of some ex-military piece of electro-mechanical equipment.
It has full 360 degree rotation and jumps from one end of the track to another over a range of a couple of degrees.

The question just occured to me, does it short the ends to the track together as is travels through the end point?
I dont know.

JimB

"Once upon a time":D :D .... (Before the cable / satelite era), it was a common practice to use a TV antenna mounted on a rotator to point it to the different stations.

The rotator was a kind of servo mounted between the mast and the antenna, with a "set top" control box.

Some of those rotators used a 360º potentiometer for feedback.. I don't remember if it had just 360º (ie 0º to 360º between stops) or allowed continuous rotation.

As radio amateurs also used (on some bands) directional antennas mounted on a rotator, you may try the ARRL handbook.

dknguyen said:
I know that's what you do to physically modify them. BUt this servo was software configurable. Like I could program it for continuous rotation OR program it for 300 degree limited rotation.

How about Helical pots. thay have 10 turns of 360 deg each
Multiturn pots are common.- ofcourse they are not endless.....

hi,
Vishay manufacture the '357' series of 360deg and continous rotation pots.

ecerfoglio said:
"I don't remember if it had just 360º (ie 0º to 360º between stops) or allowed continuous rotation.

As radio amateurs also used (on some bands) directional antennas mounted on a rotator, you may try the ARRL handbook.

All the antenna rotators I know of are limited to 360 degree rotation (or just a bit over), If they could go round and around for ever, it would be rather hard on the coax feeder cable.:eek:

Also, I think you will find that the average antenna rotator uses a standard 270(?) degree potentiometer for feedback but with some cheap plastic gears to convert 360deg to less than 270deg for the pot.

JimB

JimB said:
All the antenna rotators I know of are limited to 360 degree rotation (or just a bit over), If they could go round and around for ever, it would be rather hard on the coax feeder cable.:eek:

Also, I think you will find that the average antenna rotator uses a standard 270(?) degree potentiometer for feedback but with some cheap plastic gears to convert 360deg to less than 270deg for the pot.

JimB

I hope even a 90 deg actual rotation sufficient for ANTENNA As such normal pot may serve well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back