Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone near Rotherham who could test my Scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Eric,

But don't try to post on monday mate, its bank holiday! ;)

Thanks again..............Al :)

Thanks Eric,

But don't try to post on monday mate, its bank holiday! ;)

Thanks again..............Al :)

Hi Al,
When your'e retired Al, every day is a Bank holiday... I dont bother keeping track of holidays anymore.....:):):)

Did you see my question about the other LM733.?

I assume the 'other' LM733 gives the correct output voltage.???

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

The other 733 readings are very close to what you said, so I assume that its ok and after all I am getting 1 channel working to a degree. :)

Bank holidays are much the same to me too, except wetter hehehe

I am still looking for another source for the 441, after all no order I place will take effect until tuesday so I may as well keep searching eh!

Regards...............Al

An update

Hi Eric and all,

Just to let you know that nothing has arrived in the post yet.

Saying that, our postman is not the best at reading numbers, or addresses for that matter and we often get things delivered by hand from streets away!

I live in hope for a delivery that is actually meant for me! ;)

Regards...........Al

Hi Eric and all,

Just to let you know that nothing has arrived in the post yet.

Saying that, our postman is not the best at reading numbers, or addresses for that matter and we often get things delivered by hand from streets away!

I live in hope for a delivery that is actually meant for me! ;)

Regards...........Al

hi Al,
It was put in the post box on Bank Holiday Monday, the next collection was due at 17:30hrs on Tues.
It was sent 1st class. it should have arrived Wednesday.??

The address label was cut/pasted and printed from your email to me, so no mess up in the addressing.
My initials and Post Code marked on the back of the Jiffy bag, chips in black a/s foam with a plastic wrap around.

Is there anyway you can chase it from your end.??

I have 2 of the original 4 left on the shelf, if push comes to shove.:)

EDIT:
Spoke to the postal service, there is no way to check the whereabouts of the letter.
They suggest that we give it a few more days.

Last edited:
Going Postal ;)

Hi Eric,

Sorry if you thought I was questioning your posting.

I never thought for a minute that you hadn't done as you said, it's probably our post at this end where the problem lies.

Some days we get no post at all, other days we get lots, sometimes its even addressed to us! hehehe

Seriously we have swap meets on the street to give each other our post. We have complained many times to the GPO (now they call it Post Office Counters) must sound more 21st century or something eh? Pity the service isn't!

Anyway mate I will ask all the usual neigbours again in the morning, see if anyone has a package that they think is bomb parts! :)

Regards...........Al

Hi Eric,

Sorry if you thought I was questioning your posting.
Regards...........Al

hi Al,
No way did I think that, just saying I did everything by the book.:)

I have got the last two NE592's ready for packing.

On Monday I will take them to the Post Office and send them by Recorded delivery....
we will do our best to get your scope working..;)

If the first package arrives let me know and we'll decide what to do, I cant see myself building any more laser rangers.

Last edited:
Morning Eric,

Thanks mate, I really appreciate everything you've done for me and wish you would want something from me for a change.

Is there anything you need or have ever thought of getting that I could send you? I just feel that I need to repay you for all the things you have sent me.

There must be some parts or something you need? If not then do you have a Paypal account I could send some money to perhaps? Or a favourite charity that you donate to, could send them something maybe?

BTW Saturday post came and went, and the neighbours didn't get my mail either so I am assuming the post has done its usual trick with my ICs, they will be in Botsana or maybe the Upper Amazonian jungle by now!

Thanks again Eric.............Al

Morning Eric,

Thanks mate, I really appreciate everything you've done for me and wish you would want something from me for a change.

Is there anything you need or have ever thought of getting that I could send you? I just feel that I need to repay you for all the things you have sent me.

There must be some parts or something you need? If not then do you have a Paypal account I could send some money to perhaps? Or a favourite charity that you donate to, could send them something maybe?

BTW Saturday post came and went, and the neighbours didn't get my mail either so I am assuming the post has done its usual trick with my ICs, they will be in Botsana or maybe the Upper Amazonian jungle by now!

Thanks again Eric.............Al

hi Al,
Dont worry about getting/doing anything, I have tons of components/equipment left over from when I retired my company.

Its nice to see someone finding a use for the older items .
Just let's get the damn scope working.!:)

BTW: a package I sent yesterday, to another member near you, arrived this morning.!

Morning Eric :)

Hi Eric,

You will never guess, the parts have just arrived mate, thanks :)

This is the surprising part (well not to us), he just posted it through the box!

No signature, just posted and ignored the fact that it had a recorded sticker on it! he didn't even knock! I told you our post was strange! ;)

Anyway thanks again, I'll get them in today and let you know the results as soon as poss.

Al

Postal Update!

Hi again Eric,

The postman did his usual again too this morning, besides not getting a signiature for yours, he also misplaced another one of mine and a neighbour just delivered it! Its the dual FET!

So Keep your fingers crossed mate!

BTW do you recommend I fit the 592s before the fet or vice versa or at the same time?

Thanks............Al :)

Hi again Eric,

The postman did his usual again too this morning, besides not getting a signiature for yours, he also misplaced another one of mine and a neighbour just delivered it! Its the dual FET!

So Keep your fingers crossed mate!

BTW do you recommend I fit the 592s before the fet or vice versa or at the same time?

Thanks............Al :)

I would try the NE592 first in the trace amp you think is working OK.

It is possible that only one Y amp FET/NE592 is blown, you may get lucky with the other Y amp....

At the point you get both NE592'a in situ, I would check the NE592's input and output pin voltages, lets know.
Be sure to centre the external Y1 and Y2 shift pots, you may later on have to tweak the internal shift pots.

I think you should make formal complaint to the PO about your postie.

Last edited:
Question?

Hi Eric,

Just realised the two wires I disconnnected are still off!

Should I replace them before the 733 to 592 swap?

Al

Hi Eric,

Just realised the two wires I disconnnected are still off!

Should I replace them before the 733 to 592 swap?

Al

Hi,
Yes, I would put the all the wires back where they came from.

Yipee!

Hi Eric,

Just done the 733 to 592 swap and I now have BOTH traces visible and adjustable! YES!

Before I get too excited can you think of a good way of doing a basic test?

You've been spot on so far in your diagnosis so I don't want to get ahead of myself and do something stupid and maybe ruin all the lot.

Thanks again Eric, your already genius status has been elevated even further..........Al :D

Hi Eric,

Just done the 733 to 592 swap and I now have BOTH traces visible and adjustable! YES!

Before I get too excited can you think of a good way of doing a basic test?

You've been spot on so far in your diagnosis so I don't want to get ahead of myself and do something stupid and maybe ruin all the lot.

Thanks again Eric, your already genius status has been elevated even further..........Al :D

hi,
Good news.
Use a scope probe plugged in Y1 input and poke the prod into the 'probe test hole' near the right handside TIME knob
See that you can switch the Y1 VOLTS/CM gain up/down,,,, do the same for Y2.

Last edited:
Result!

Hi Eric and Nigel,

Yes Eric, I can adjust both traces! I have noticed however that though I can adjust them to go well below the bottom of the screen, I can't get them to reach the top so maybe this means a pot or two need adjusting or is this normal for the traces?

Al :D

Hi Eric and Nigel,

Yes Eric, I can adjust both traces! I have noticed however that though I can adjust them to go well below the bottom of the screen, I can't get them to reach the top so maybe this means a pot or two need adjusting or is this normal for the traces?

Al :D

hi,
If you look at the Y1/2 circuit I posted in red/blue you will see an internal Y shift, one for each channel.
Turn the external Y shift to its centre of rotation and then adjust the internal Y1/2 shifts to put the traces in the centre.

As another Y1 Y1 test, turn the VOLT/CM to 5mV put your finger on the probe lead point, dont touch 0V, so you should show a 50HZ sine wave on both traces. The reason for not touchung 0V is that you get a good mains pick up
....no shocks involved...:)

Did you do the probe hole test.?????

Last edited:
ericgibbs; Did you do the probe hole test.?????[/QUOTE said:
Hi Eric,

Yes I did he probe test, whichever probe I use will deflect around 3v higher when touched to the test hole, but not a square wave, just a straight trace.

I'm guessing mine doesn't have a Square wave output, I will have to read through the service manual again to check.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back