Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

127V DC to 240V DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmb

127V AC to 240V AC?

Hello,
How can I use an electronic device that takes 240V AC in an area where the power supply is 127V AC? Clearly I need a step-up transformer, but the only ones I can find convert 110/120V to 220/240V. If I use one of these, will it convert 127V AC to 254V AC (twice 127V)? If so, would it be safe for my electronic equipment for me to use it with this voltage (14V more than it is supposed to take)?
Thanks.

Last edited:
DC cannot be stepped-up using just a transformer, which only works on AC. You need an inverter.

Where in the world is DC distribution used?

Where did you find the 127V ac?

I think that's fairly possible without any problem. But you need to do some voltage measurements(including peak at night) before connecting any equipment. 240V devices should be safe upto 260V.

Hope you're dealing with ~ac voltages.

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry, I meant AC! That was dumb.

The nominal line voltage in the USA and Canada is 120V; 127V is high, but I'll bet there are times of the day when it is much closer to 120V. A standard 1:2 step up is what you want.

Make sure the VA rating (Watts) is greater than what you are running. If the appliance has a motor in it, you may have to get a transformer with a VA rating 2X or 3X the current rating on the appliance.

They do make step-up/step-down transformers with tapped primaries/secondaries that allow you to add/subract -10%, -5%, 0%, +5%, +10% through the transformer.

How big a load, and what type of appliance are you running?

Your residential panel has 240V in it; probably runs your electric stove, air conditioner, clothes dryer.

Last edited:
Do you need isolation?

If not just use an auto transformer.

Of you could connect a 230VAC to 110VAC transformer in reverse.

It will run slightly hot but if you're in the US (60Hz) and you use a 50Hz transformer, the increase in frequency will cancel the heating effect of the invrease in voltage.

Last edited:
I answered this yesterday. I think he was using an electric piano. Original poster: go look at yesterdays answers. They still apply to this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back