Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiper intermittent function

merk

Hi

I have 2007 Renault Master in which wipers intermittent function does not work. other functions low and high speed works as well as 3 wipes if you spray watter.
I found some diagrams for this car (look below) and as fas as I understand the wiring of 5wire wiper motor, low and high speed are both pure mechanicaly operated by the wiper stalk. Then there is a intermittend operation and spray wiping that are both controled by the BCM (body control module). In my case spray and 3 wipes works fine but when you put wiper stalk to intermittent function you hear a click from the BCM but wipers does not move.

For me it is a "pickle" since I don't think wiper stalk is bad also BCM physicaly looks fine (nothing corroded, nothing burnt), fuses are also all fine and strange thing is that rellay does click.
Also cabin doom light does stay on even if you shut the doors close, and that to is BCM operated (door's switches are fine).

Since both wiper stalk as BCM are expensive (at least 150$) I was thinking to make myself a simple timer rellay for the wiper intermittent function.

Here is the wiring diagrams for the wipers for this car.
ibb.co

212 wiper motor
221 spray pump motor
145 wiper stalk
645 BCM
1016 wiper fuse

ON YT I was looking how a basic 5 wire wiper motor works (wiring of an internal park switch). Everything is understandable, but internal switch on this diagram is different than one provided on the wiring diagram for the car.

Now my understanding is that for a intermittent operation I would need 2 rellays. One providing a 12V pulse to the A1 pin of the wiper motor (low speed), so the wipers would move from its park position and the internal park switch will switch and then I need a 2nd rellay to provide 12V to the A2 pin of the wiper motor. This 2nd rellay has to provide 12V so long that the wiper returns to its park position, then a short delay and everything repeats.

For the input signal for my simple board with 2 rellays i was looking the diagram of the wipper stalk. There are 2 wires going to the BCM (pin VE24 and VE25). First i think is for the spray activation and 2nd should be for the intermittent activation. I guess direct 12V signal is provided on those pins and I will just use voltage divider in my simple board to lead this signal to the PIC mcu.

What are your thought on the matter?

OK. You could test for switch failure by directly linking the A3 and A6 connections from the switch - so wires 14A and 14E, anywhere between the ECU and motor.

Those are supposed to be connected in both park and intermittent positions, so it should be safe as long as you only select either of those while the link is present.

ps. That switch appears to be a plug-in unit with latches on the top and bottom to hold it in to the steering column framework - if so, I believe you should only need to take the column shroud off to change it, not the wheel etc.

i bought used stalk for 20e on the car trash. connector is the same only this stalk has variabile intermittent switch plus iz has for the rear wipers as well. will try and see

i tried stalk from junkyard one with variabile resistor plus rear wiper and intermittent wiping now works but only if the variabile switch is on the highest speed. the intermittent function is also useles as it takes 4 seconds between wipes, but you need 1 or 2 sec at most.

i also noticed wires on the connector from the junkyard are all thin while on my connector some are buffy.

it is strange i have a 2006 model of reno master, diagrams as i see are not from 2006 model butfrom 2003.
BCM is dated 2007 and i hoped variabile speed switch will work but it doesnt.

do you think i can just add aditional wire in order forthis to work?

or only solution is to make my own board...

also i need to make a solution for doom light as it doesn't go off with the door switches. as far as i understand 12V and ground are present all the time, while 2nd ground is operated by the bcm and for some reason it is allways present.

thanks all for help.

pictures

Attachments

• received_927866321548215.jpeg
    received_927866321548215.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 174
  • received_605074031543263.jpeg
    received_605074031543263.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 164
  • received_178848014864101.jpeg
    received_178848014864101.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 151
OK, the fact it works at all with the other switch shows that the fault is in the original switch.

Is there a part number label on that original one?

This appears to be appropriate? From that listing, it's the same one for multiple vehicles and fits a Mk2 Master.

OK, the fact it works at all with the other switch shows that the fault is in the original switch.

Is there a part number label on that original one?

This appears to be appropriate? From that listing, it's the same one for multiple vehicles and fits a Mk2 Master.
yes original stalk has the number 8200481072, the part from the junkyard with varistor switch has the number 8200328895.

with this stalk wipers work as they should but would like to have the varistor switch to be in function since 4sec pause between intervals is too long and not realy usefull.
do you think it can be done with this bcm or would i need to change it?

if you compare 2003 and 2006 diagram they have different pins used. be usefull if you could provide diagram of 2006 bcm to see if connectors are the same

if nothing can be done i will do my own rellay circuit.

The pin numbers at the BCM are totally different between the two versions.

That could be the cause of the diagram discrepancy, in fact - I've seen examples in the past where the early production of an "updated" vehicle model uses electrical systems from the previous vehicle version.
It may be due to the later parts not being available to start with, or just to use up remaining stock of expensive modules...

Then there is the delay from manufacturing, through the stock "pool", getting to the dealer and the dealer actually selling it. It's only then that the registration year is recorded, possibly many months after it left the factory.

Searching the original part number actually brings up parts from or compatible with a 2007 Master!
eg.

Re. the wiring, from the look of it a relay with the coil between A1 and ground, and contact between A6 and A3, should bypass the failed contact in the switch and get it working without any additional electronics.

(A1 and A7 are shown reversed on the 03 drawing; A1 must actually be the fused power feed for the wiper to function at all, so A7 is the output to the BCM that is powered in the intermittent position).

Use a flywheel diode on the real coil, to avoid spikes in to the BCM..

this will be my 5x4cm board with PIC mcu, to control two rellays - one for wiper intermittent and one for doom light turn off (ground). Input signals will be door's switch, ignition voltage, wiper stalk resistor switch.

Attachments

• kombi.JPG
    kombi.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 139
even if I change BMC (there are plenty of 2009 model on the junkyard) wiring is different and I will need to program ECU and instrument cluster since lock unlock is done by the BCM and its serial number is stored in both cluster and ECU modul.

You could make something really simple with a 555 timer, relays, etc and a rotary switch that changes the value of the RC circuit. You have to take into account th "park" circuit/function of the wiper system. I don't know how yours works, but some are quite different.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back