Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1989 Ford L8000 Wiper Motor Circuit... This complicated??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPPG

Hi All - struggling with making an 89 Ford wiper motor function correctly without the original factory switch. The factory switch had 7 terminals and no relay, here is the factory wiring schematic:

screenshot_20230409_112505_onedrive_64c07fc022b9563878f4f006b6f6913a3613a7e6.jpg

I have a universal 4 pin wiper switch and I can't figure out how to get this to work with a combination of this universal switches and relay(s). I've got a number of 4 and 5 pin relays availiable.

Essentially how I understand this is the Green wire needs to the power yellow wire (when running low or high), for Low, the blue wire needs to be grounded, and for High, the white orange wire needs to be grounded. Then for Park, the red wire needs to power the yellow wire and blue needs to be grounded via Black-White instead of the standard black ground wire.

I can get it to function making those connections manually but I can't figure out how to make it work using the universal switch. No idea they were this complicated.. can anyone please help?!

Thank you!!!

Yes I am having trouble, the diagram I sent is how I interpreted your diagram.
Then look again at the two diagrams and, following my post #17, you should be able to see the error in your circuit.
Just follow the wire for each connection and see which are different.
Look at your connection to the top of the park switch and compare it with mine.
Can you not see the difference?
I don't know how to make it any simpler.

Last edited:
For now I've just gotten Low and High to function and bypassed the Park feature altogether.

If you have it working on low and high OK, without connecting anything to the PARK switch wires??

Try just connect the not-parked and common contacts of the park switch (Red & Green?) between the "Low speed" and "Off" contacts of the wiper switch??

That should hopefully switch it in to low speed when turned off, and it then run until it gets to the stop point of the park switch.

No other changes needed.

If you have it working on low and high OK, without connecting anything to the PARK switch wires??

Try just connect the not-parked and common contacts of the park switch (Red & Green?) between the "Low speed" and "Off" contacts of the wiper switch??

That should hopefully switch it in to low speed when turned off, and it then run until it gets to the stop point of the park switch.

No other changes needed.
The wiper motor may not stop quickly enough in the park position. In the original design and in my suggestion, the wiper motor slow speed terminal is shorted to the common terminal when the motor is switched off and it reaches the park position. The motor will stop much faster when it is shorted out than when it is disconnected.

There is no problem with the motor stopping slowly when the user is parking the wipers. However, if the park switch is being used, the switch will only be in the park position for a short time and it's important that the motor stops during that time. If not, the switch will change back, the motor will be powered again, so it will do complete the next cycle. That can go on until the ignition is switched off.

The wiper motor may not stop quickly enough in the park position. In the original design and in my suggestion, the wiper motor slow speed terminal is shorted to the common terminal when the motor is switched off
Yes, the problem is that the TS did not wire it as is shown in your circuit (as modified to use the ground at the switch).
But the TS has not been seen since Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back