Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this circuit work and do what I want it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnos36

**broken link removed**

Ok so I'm installing an LED controller on my xbox 360, its main function is to pulse any LED's attached to the beat of music playing. It also has various fade functions. The theme of the console is blue, so the main set of LEDs are blue, the others are purple. I want each LED circuit to have a switch (S1 & S2). I also want a circuit so that when the blue fades out the purple fades in, by using a transistor as a simple inverter. I also want a switch for that circuit (S3) to disable that function and just pick any or both sets of LED's. So I'm hoping it will work as follows:

S1 will just turn the blue circuit on or off
S2 Will turn the Purple circuit on or off.
S3 for this to work S2 will need to be off, and when blue fades out purple will fade in.
Also if S2 is in the ON position it will also disable the transistors function cos it will always have an ON status. So for purple to be totally off will need both 2 and 3 off?

Its my first LED circuit and I don't know much about electronics so if this is stupid could someone please correct me and present an alternate way of doing it. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Are the squares connected to the LED anodes resistors? If so, what Ohms, Watts? If not, you will vaporize 6LEDs.

Hey I didn't write them in because I've already worked out all the resistor values for the actual LED's and have more colours to play with which all have different power requirements, yea they are resistors. I was asking more about the transistor functionality and more specifically if the link from S2 to the start of the transistor will work how I want it too.

So if S2 is on it will force the transistor circuit to not work cos it will always have +5v input, and if I turn S2 off and leave S3 on it will fade in as blue fades out, and if S3 is off it will also disable the transistors output (obviously), if S2 & S3 are off it will turn the Purple LED's off altogether.
Also how do I work out what ohms resistor to use for the transistor, everyone just says for 5v use 1k, and shove a 10k on its output (collect). But what if I used a 12v source?

Last edited:
I've asked two bloody questions now, only I actually need an answer to this one. I've posted this question on four forums and I've had two versions of "Are those resistors next to your LED", I've also had "The blue LEDs don't seem to fade, check these links for a circuit simulator". Before anyone suggests that's a good idea, I bet the sim won't take into account that the fading function is from a mod chip connected to the LED's ground point. I bet it will assume that cos the circuit appears to be on all the time, the inverter won't have chance to get a low to fade the other LED's in. WHY CAN'T ANYBODY ANSWER THE FECKING QUESTION I ASKED???? It really isn't that difficult. Its a simple inverter circuit but I'm new to this and theory and what I've read tells me that it should work. Now I want to ask experience just in case I'm wrong and wreck my xbox or parts.

I've asked two bloody questions now, only I actually need an answer to this one. I've posted this question on four forums and I've had two versions of "Are those resistors next to your LED", I've also had "The blue LEDs don't seem to fade, check these links for a circuit simulator". Before anyone suggests that's a good idea, I bet the sim won't take into account that the fading function is from a mod chip connected to the LED's ground point. I bet it will assume that cos the circuit appears to be on all the time, the inverter won't have chance to get a low to fade the other LED's in. WHY CAN'T ANYBODY ANSWER THE FECKING QUESTION I ASKED???? It really isn't that difficult. Its a simple inverter circuit but I'm new to this and theory and what I've read tells me that it should work. Now I want to ask experience just in case I'm wrong and wreck my xbox or parts.

1) What entitles you to help more than anyone else?

Sorry to break it to you but people here help on a voluntary basis: we owe you nothing!

2) How the hell are we supposed to know what your LED controller does?

You've not posted a datasheet so there's no way we can know.

3) Perhaps no one can answer the question because you haven't provided enough information?

4) The symbol you've used for the LED controller is what electronic engineers use for 0V and the way you've configured the transistor is completely wrong.

5) And finally it it's not that difficult then why haven't you been able to answer the question yourself? Are you stupid?

Last edited:
Despite your attitude, I'll make a few comments:
Assuming the "LED controller" is providing a connection to circuit ground:
S1 will turn the left side LEDs on and off.
S2 is shorted, so will do nothing.
The LEDs on the right will always be on.
S3 will do nothing.

If the controller is off, then all LEDs will be off.

Last edited:
Despite your attitude, I'll make a few comments:
Assuming the "LED controller" is providing a connection to circuit ground:
S1 will turn the left side LEDs on and off.
S2 is shorted, so will do nothing.
The LEDs on the right will always be on.
S3 will do nothing.

If the controller is off, then all LEDs will be off.

I don't expect answers more than anyone else, the point is I've presented a problem before on this forum, I was asked for a data sheet, which I provided and the question still isn't answered. I'm not asking about functionality of the bloody chip. I know what the chip does. The example of a transistor is exactly how it has been drawn on numerous websites to turn a simple npn transistor into a not gate, so that when there is a charge present it will force it to ground, and when there isn't it will do the opposite.

I have had this drawing presented, and it was working on their console. The reason I cant answer it my bloody self is because I've added something which I was hoping would disable the functionality of the transistor so both LED circuits would fade in and out in sync as they would normally. The part I've added to the working plan I've seen is the connection from the 5v source to switch 2, then from switch 2 to the start of the transistor, and to the LED's so that when the transistor circuit is off the purple LED circuit still has a power source to function as normal.

I answer all the bloody questions I am capable of for modders on forums for mod chips I have installed. Simple questions which everyone else just expects people to know because they know. or more complex questions that admins can't be bothered answering. I expect no more or no less than anyone who answers any of my questions. I don't care if its wrong, I just want people to have a bloody look in the first place then try to answer the question to the best of their ability. But what I've got is absolutely irrelevant answers which have nothing at all to do with what I asked.

I'll give an example.

q. What is £5 + £5
a. a five pound note is green....

So the reason I can't answer it myself is because I've added something of my own design to disable part of a circuit which someone else has presented as working. Given that knowledge, and ignoring the fact that I drew it in paint and the resistor symbols for the LED's are square and don't have values because I may not use blue or purple and can work that out later. Or even that there is a mod chip attached to the point that should be ground (I put that in so people wouldn't turn round and say....it doesn't go to ground).
Could someone please please answer the question I asked, taking for fact that the function of the mod chip I am exploiting is a simple fade, and what I am asking about is the function of a not gate, to clarify, as one fades out, the voltage drops forcing the output of the transistor to be ON and that circuit to fade in.

Thank you for your answer but why is it shorting out? I think you may have misunderstood the use I've put to the circuit.

If its the connection from switch 2 to the start of the transistor which is shorting it, then the simple solution would be to remove that connection. My idea was if switch 2 was on it would always provide a supply to the start of the not gate so it would always have a supply, but thinking about it the purple circuit would fade out with the blue, meaning when both are on the purple wouldn't fade out because as it started to fade out from the normal circuit the not gate would output on the low and it just wouldn't go off at all. So it would seem the logical solution would be to leave the switches as is and remove that connection to the start of the transistor. Then if both were on purple would be always on. If blue was off + purple s2 was off the transistor circuit would stay on until its charge was discharged, and if just s3 was off it would fade as the chip told it too despite what the blue circuit was doing.

On the circuit I took the idea from they had a red and blue set of leds and as one faded out the other came in, the circuit connected to the not gate wasn't connected to a power source and was directly controlled by the lack of a charge from the other side and the fade function of the LED controller.
I want a choice of doing this as I mainly just want the blue circuit, there will be times when I don't want to see purple at all. Or maybe I'll want just the purple, with this idea I'll have that ability to choose between colours and functions.

Also I've just checked on wiki, the symbol I've used for gnd is the symbol for chassis grounding, not 0v, the symbol for 0v is the same thing as ground, so maybe I should have used an arrow with defused lines on its head, who bloody cares.

Last edited:
Look at this and see if you think it will do what you want.

Attachments

• cygnos36 LED cont&#1.PNG
    cygnos36 LED cont&#1.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I'm sorry I have no idea Roff, I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but would that just turn the circuits on and off?? I'm sorry I said I'm new to this, I'm looking everything up as I read about the parts on circuit diagrams. I've looked into logic gates but you would have to explain how the LEDs would interact. I think I may have found a more simple solution anyway. I downloaded a circuit simulator and got it to do what I want with the exception of it had a pulse component but it was an input not controlled from gnd. I drew it out in paint but with the controller at gnd, it will do exactly what I want but there was a block diagram for inverter, and part number but when I looked up the part it didn't seem to be usable. Anyway here's a link to the drawing.

Flickr Photo Download: LED Circuit

And yet again thank loads for your help it's been impossible to find.

The only other problem with that was the LED brightness was slightly lower when outputting through the inverter, I could rectify this by using one really low rated resistor I think 20ohms for the 5v and 10 for the inverter before the switch instead of one for each LED. But that would only work for the 3 LED's and if I added more I'd need to change their values wouldn't I? I plan to have a lot more than 3, more like 20 blue, plus an smd strip, plus some LED's from a fan and about 15 purple. So I think it would be much easier having resistors in series with the LED's. Is there any way to raise the current immediately out of the inverter then limit so its more or less the same as the non inverted input?

Hello hero, what gives you the right to say what I do and don't deserve, I've been perfectly well mannered to Roff as I would to anyone. If you weren't so arrogant and read posts properly I would reacted in kind. As you were so arrogant I replied how I did. My philosophy is if you can't say anything constructive don't say anything at all. Why answer a question with a completely irrelevant answer? What does it achieve? (you should take note of that) I mean I don't care if someone tries and is wrong, at least they tried.

But like my example earlier

q. What is £5 + £5
a. a five pound note is green....

What does that achieve? Does it answer the question? NO! It just pisses the person off that asked it.

I answer plenty of posts voluntarily and have helped and taught god knows how many people who are new to modding, how to mod. People who wouldn't have attention span or just can't be bothered to look it up for themselves as I have or spoon feeding them because they just don't have the background knowledge to understand things. I'm perfectly deserving of help.
I've posted this same question on 4 forums and had 1 relevant answer and that was from roff. So yea I was slightly pissed.
Go try answer a question properly then talk to me. Maybe then you'll get some respect.

Last edited:
Flickr says the photo was removed. Maybe I was too stupid to find it.

Hey mneary its removed because that circuit wouldn't have worked, I posted another link to a revised circuit
here: Flickr Photo Download: LED Circuit

The simulator I used for this design worked, I just don't know what to use for the inverter.
You would understand if you read some of the replies I got to this problem.
Look can we drop the stupid tit for tat and get down to solving the problem, i don't ask a lot. Just not to waste my time with stupid answers. If you know something about it and can help and can be arsed, then help, if not don't.
Simple

And I guess the circuit simulator was a good idea though it couldn't reproduce my needs exactly. But the rest of their answer was absolute rubbish.

Last edited:
Once last chance.

You still haven't told us exactly what the LED controller does? It still looks like a ground earth symbol.
Ground (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you have a data sheet for it?

You need to accept that not everyone's reply will help you.

You also need to learn how to help us, help you and some manners would help you too.

Last edited:
Cygnos, I had the same reaction as hero to your first two posts. Your questions were incomprehensible until I found the part number of your controller in your other thread, and then Googled it and found this site, which has schematics of it. Then I understood that the controller was just basically MOSFET switches to ground, controlled by a microcontroller.
I was still annoyed with you, but I understood your frustration and decided to design a solution. I'm still not sure of your requirements, but I think that the circuit I posted will work.
The circuit you posted with the inverter will not drive a bunch of LEDs. I didn't attempt to figure out the functions of the switches.
The circuit I posted does the following (as in the table on the schematic):
1. If both switches are off, all LEDs are off,
2. If S1 is on and S2 is off, the blue LEDs will do what the controller commands. If the controller says fade up, they will fade up. The purple LEDs will be off.
3. If S1 is off and S2 is on, the blue LEDs will be off. The purple LEDs will do the opposite of what the controller commands. If the controller says fade up, they will fade down, and vice-versa.
4. If both switches are on, and the controller says fade up, blue will fade up, and purple will fade down, and vice-versa.

You need to have patience when requesting help. If we understand your wishes, we will try to answer your questions. If we ask question, it is usually not because we are nosy or curious (but sometimes it is). It generally is because we don't have enough information. If you get impatient and rude, we may tell you to piss off.

I am new to this particular forum and the last time I checked it was free and the people who contribute dont get paid to help, with your dirty attitude mabie you should leave and solve your own problems, sorry but when I read things like ungratefullness it make me mad

I was debating that. See my last post.

I know, I didn't think you took any BS as per your avatar. ;)
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back