Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this circuit work and do what I want it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK let me get this straight.

When S1 is on the blue LEDs are always on. When S1 is off, the blue LEDs are always off.
When S2 is on the purple LEDs are always on. When S2 is off the purple LEDs are always off.
When S3 is on, the purple LEDs are on unless S1 is off or S2 is on.
When S3 is off, the blue LEDs are off unless S2 is on.
Purple fades in when both S1 and S2 are on. If blue was on, it fades out.
If S3 is on, then purple fades out and blue fades on (unless S1 and S2 are on).

I know, I didn't think you took any BS as per your avatar. ;)
**broken link removed**
My avatar means I don't give out any BS, but I do get crankier with age, so you are probably right. Maybe this was an exception.:D

I've worked out my design for the circuit, I got it working how I want it too in a simulator. I've ended up with 5 switches. I'm having 3 colours. With 2 of them linked to the blue via a transistor working as a not gate. Also using normal wiring so I can switch the function off via an spdt switch. Then 3 spst switches to turn each colour off. The end result being that I can have blue on a fade cycle then if the switch routes power through the not gate it will fade in as the normal cycle is fading out. I'll post a copy of the circuit.

Hi roff and hero, this went a bit too far. Yea that would do exactly what I wanted too so thanks a lot for the effort. I've designed my own circuit though, with 3 colours and I like to design things myself if I can. My frustration was aimed at specific people from other forums. I was moaning to myself on a forum and obviously people reacted negatively to that. But your reaction was quite rude. I would be perfectly polite if you'd have said something constructive. Anyway I'm sorry for being such a knob. I'm going go do some reading up. Then hopefully I'll be able to answer posts for other people. And that message was a bit unnecessary hero so I would like to apologise for that too.

When things get heated, always, try to think and reread your reply before you press the post button and if you think people are being rude, try to ask yourself why. You may think my initial response was rude, but you wouldn't believe how toned down and controlled it was, the original version contained enough bad words to get me banned permanently.:D

Anyway, good, I'm glad you've got it working and have calmed down, apology accepted.

I see you're now banned, it's only temporary but it doesn't say for how long.

EDIT:
Sorry about the negative reputation, don't worry if you remain active and contribute positively, it'll eventually return to positive, but it might take awhile. I can't return it to positive because you can only give karma again after you've given it to loads of other people.

Last edited:
Right here are the pics
Flickr Photo Download: Circuit
Flickr Photo Download: Circuit Pulse controlled
Flickr Photo Download: circuit 1 inverted
Flickr Photo Download: inverted circuit on

So I've got a dpdt switch for each LED circuit except blue , so I can change to the inverted circuit and change to ground instead of the pulse.
I'm gonna have centre off dpdt switches, and possibly a variable resistor for the blue circuit (not where it is on the examples, that's to simulate the pulsing. The end effect being I can turn each circuit off, or I can switch either of the other two circuits so they fade in as blue fades out, or just have them normal. Could probably do this a lot simpler some how and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. And yet again I hope this thread doesn't lower anyone's opinion of me, or I at least get a chance to change that opinion. And thanks for all your help hero and roff!

I don't see any point in the right-hand sections of the DPDT switches. They select either GND or GND. You might as well wire that side of the LEDs to GND.
What is the 1k pot supposed to do?

Last edited:
The only other problem with that was the LED brightness was slightly lower when outputting through the inverter, I could rectify this by using one really low rated resistor I think 20ohms for the 5v and 10 for the inverter before the switch instead of one for each LED.
The max allowed output current from a 74HC04 inverter is only 25mA. You might need each inverter to drive only a single LED at 25mA.
I think the package gets too hot is more than 3 inverters have an output current of 25mA each.

Use a transistor with a current-limiting resistor in series with its base as an inverter. A few common little transistors can switch 800mA.

Someone from another forum said I would need to have a separate ground source for the inverted circuit because the pulsevu 2x is a mosfet connected to ground, so the ground point where all 3 are connected too would be the pulsevu, the other would be just the copper grounding point around the xbox motherboard. Is that right or is there no need for the separate ground? And hey audioguru sorry I'm new to all this. On the last circuit I posted there was like 150ma from each inverted circuit. Do you mean that I'd be overloading the transistor? Also have you checked the pics from my last post?
I'm using a free program called yenka, can I trust the calculations to be good and just go buy parts if it's agreed it'l work, I should I be checking ratings of parts I can find and work out resistor values from that?

Agreed; remove the pot.

What's with the transistors shorting an 80R resistor to 0V so it'll dissipate 1.8W? I'll need to be a power resistor.

Agreed; remove the pot.

What's with the transistors shorting an 80R resistor to 0V so it'll dissipate 1.8W? I'll need to be a power resistor.
Yeah, series switching is a lot more efficient than shunt switching.

Hey so it was, my God I'm going blind. By pot do you mean the variable resistor? I was using that to simulate the pulse so I could turn that circuit on and off. It won't be in my real LED circuit, though I think I may use a variable resistor at the start of the blue LED's instead of a simple switch. And if I didn't put the 80ohms resistor just before the transistor, the transistor blew. This is how I read to set up an npn transistor. With the circuit with the blue LEDs connected to the base of the transistor with a really high resistor before it. Then a separate circuit with a separate power source at the collector (is that right?). So when the blue circuit is on and the inverted circuit is selected, it will short the inverted circuit to ground. When the blue circuit is fading out it stops shorting to ground and the inverted circuit gets power. I went with the resistor values the site advices, but it didn't work, so I just played around with all the resistor values until it worked and the LEDs were the same brightness when both circuits were active.

I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Apparently you want more functionality than you could get from the circuit posted.

Attachments

• Shunt series swi&#1.PNG
    Shunt series swi&#1.PNG
    1 KB · Views: 164
Your circuit has too many useless parts that do nothing but get hot.
1) You do not need the 80 ohm resistors.
2) You do not turn off LEDs by shorting them with a transistor. Instead you use a transistor to stop current feeding to them.

The circuits I posted does exactly what I want it too.
The blue circuit will just be controlled by the pulsevu.
I'v also got some red and purple LEDs, and I saw a video of someone with something similar on a nintendo DS, set up so one circuit controlled by the pulse and another directly controlled by an inverter so it fades in as the other fades out. I guess I'm just being greedy.
I want the red and purple circuits so I can turn them off (with a centre off Dpdt), or have one setting where it will be controlled by the pulsevu (the left side of the DPDT, with the power source being the same as the blue circuit, and it's ground going to the pulse vu), or so that its inverted by the other circuit being on (the right side of the DPDT with the power source coming through the inverted, and changing to a normal ground point instead of going to the pulse VU.

I see what you mean by the series inverter, but wouldn't that mean it would only be an inverted circuit, and no way to have it controlled by the pulse. The circuit I posted pics of does everything I want it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back