Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Visual Basic or C++ programmer needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Im looking to hire a programmer to develop a piece of software to go with a wireless thermostat im working on. Communication is through USB serial

I have no idea how much these things cost to make, so im putting out the feelers.

Anyone who can do visual basic or C++, and have spare time to undertake such a project please post here or PM me.

NOTE: if there is another language this could be done in please let me know

I'm competent in VB/Windows, do you have all the hardware Well Proofed? Have a GOOD idea of the user and control interface? That it's a thermostat, is it fail safe (liability exposure)?

That's what's kept me from building one for my furnace/heat pump/AC system (mfgrs' thermostat sux).

Not to be a wet blanket, but quicksand looks like sand... until you step into it. <<<)))

Anyone who can do visual basic or C++, and have spare time to undertake such a project please post here or PM me.
Sure can. What do you want?

NOTE: if there is another language this could be done in please let me know
It can be done in any language. One popular one would be c#.

hi guys, thanks for the replies,

I have a problem in that i have no time to do this myself,im so busy with other aspects of this project aswell as work etc, so i need a bit more than help.

Ideally i need someone to take a design brief and then go off and do the software and bring me a finished program.

Ok, basically heres what needs doing;

**The software can deal with upto 50 external devices,

**Each device needs to be "SYNCed" so it knows its channel number and who its master is

**Once synced, all it needs to do is have a setup box for each device that defines all of its setting (temp, humidity, lights on/off, temperature profile etc)
When you press "UPDATE" all these settings will be sent to the device required through a series of commands. As well as this i would like the computers clock to be used to update the time on the devices.

**If a device is opened up on the computer screen then it will request information from the device every 5 seconds or so and display it on the computer screen
Again this is done through a series of commands.

**There will also be alarms built into this thermostat for various things, when an alarm goes off it will send the info to the computer and display it on screen and also store it in a log of some sort

Communication will be done through COM port, i am using a FT232R chip.

This is a basic outline of what i need to get done.

Hello,

If you are working with 50 devices being read through one COM port it may take a little while between readings of each device. How fast does this system have to be?

Hi,
It doesnt have to read them at the same time, it only reads or transmits when a device box is open, so in theory it will only ever be reading or sending to 1 device at a time.

Also forgot to add, the computer software is only for updates or reading the devices, it plays no part in the actual function of the devices, so even if the PC is off the devices will still run as normal.

Last edited:
Sounds like a piece of cake. When do I start? ;)

im still working on the software for the device itself, as soon as thats done i will have a full list of commands to operate the device. In the meantime i will draw up an idea of what i want the GUI to look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back