Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stupid dialup . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

yup, im stuck with dialup, and it worked great until i had to change my access number. i used to get a speed of 51.6k/s, now im getting around 49.2k/s, i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem, but maybe.

but wats really weird is sometimes wen i go to load a webpage, i will get this message that pops up and says "you requested information from electro-tech-online.com (this is only an example, it does this on other webpages too), which connection would you like to use?

I then click on my connection that i always use, and it wants me to dial up, even though i'm ALREADY on the internet!!!!! if i hit cancel, it will usually just sit there and do nothing, although once in a wile the page will load. and then other times, i will get the cannot find server error. it only takes one second for this error to occour, its like my computer doesnt even look for the page, it just pops up that error. and no matter how many times i refresh, i get the same error. im sure someone knows whats goin on here :lol:

fortunately i think i mite be getting cable ( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ) but until then . . .

I remember when I had dialup....Now I have cable, and my dad's work pays for it because sometimes he has to do work at home if a machine goes down or something. its great.

As for your problem, i dunno, there are so many settings and options nowadays, its quite confusing

You need to delete your old dial-up connection. You will find it inside the "network connections" folder, get there from :

Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections.

Delete the one you don't use anymore. Leave your new one there.

Then open a browser window, If its Internet Explorer, click TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then select the "connections " tab, and check the button that says "always dial my default connection"

Hope this helps.

Just prior to making the switch to a cable modem I was told that I could improve the speed of my dialup connection by doing a couple of things. Making sure the wiring to the phone outlet I was using was made with proper telephone wiring, that terminations were good, neat, etc. I was also told that the surge protector that I was using for the line (on the outlet strip of my computer) could be slowing things down. I have no idea how much of an increase in speed I could expect but I think I was getting 28 k - instead of the 56 k I expected. No one said I'd get more than 56 k.
Maybe you can squeak out a little more speed with what you have.

yeah, make sure there is only one connection for it to worry about. Good quality cable will help. If its really slowing down, get in touch with your phone company and ask them to check the volume (?) of the line, because a low volume can cause you to loose packets, slowing things down considerably (I think its referred to as volume, I can't really remember). Also, a poor quality modem will loose packets, which would explain why you sometimes load pages and sometimes not.

I had the pages not loading randomly problem, on my adsl connection, and I put the DNS server addresses in manually, which solved the problem. Your ISP should be able to give you those.

Btw, you'll never get more than 56k, 49k is VERY respectable for a dial-up connection.

btw, (*plugs*) for all your computer related problems, get yourself to https://www.techsupportforum.com/ - bunch of extremely clued up geeks, who can solve most problems in a heartbeat.

Hope its some help,

Tim

zevon8 said:
You need to delete your old dial-up connection. You will find it inside the "network connections" folder, get there from :

Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections.

Delete the one you don't use anymore. Leave your new one there.

Then open a browser window, If its Internet Explorer, click TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then select the "connections " tab, and check the button that says "always dial my default connection"

Hope this helps.

thanx zevon, all of my old dialup connections are deleted, and the "always dial my default connection" is checked.

yeah, make sure there is only one connection for it to worry about. Good quality cable will help. If its really slowing down, get in touch with your phone company and ask them to check the volume (?) of the line, because a low volume can cause you to loose packets, slowing things down considerably (I think its referred to as volume, I can't really remember).

thanx grrarggh (btw, wuts your real name? i feel like a grunting caveman) i have a feeling that's probably the problem because this started happening after i switched access numbers. i found an access number that booted me back up to 50.6kb/s, so if the problem still persists, i will try that. also, for those of you who know anything about DOS, i tried pinging hotmail.com and got 100% loss, i then tried electro-tech-online and got 25% loss and then no loss. does this sound like bad volume? this was with the 50.6kb/s access number.

i know that its not my browser because this browser always worked great 4 me until i switched numbers. and i know its not my phone line because it always worked fine till i switched numbers.

thanx everyone :lol:

EDIT: a couple of times when i got of the internet, that same box came up and told me that i or a program had requested information from Magneto.sugeily.com i tried going there and was told that i dont have access. try it and youll see the error. is anyone thinking spyware??? adware??? VIRUS!?!?

zachtheterrible said:
EDIT: a couple of times when i got of the internet, that same box came up and told me that i or a program had requested information from Magneto.sugeily.com i tried going there and was told that i dont have access. try it and youll see the error. is anyone thinking spyware??? adware??? VIRUS!?!?

This sounds like it may a program which trys to dial a premium rate number and give you a massive phone bill - that would perhaps explain why it keeps trying to do a second dialup.

DOS is dead, all that's left in windows XP is a command prompt that has alot of the same commands as DOS did back in the day. :wink:

I get random dead pages with Broad Band I think it just apart of human invention.

I even went into depth with this and bought a new modem, several to be exact, 2 routers, 4 Broad band Lan cards and all for nothing it was my ISP.

I don't know what I would do without Broad Band, possibly fall asleep. All I know is I got the same sort of errors between 56k and Broad.

DOS is dead, all that's left in windows XP is a command prompt that has alot of the same commands as DOS did back in the day.

DOS is Still very much there it is just less of a shell primary and it not in HImem like it used to be.

XP loads it for Safe Mode and when in Virtual Machine.

XP like many other so called new OS's are just build ups and patches of older versions. XP was based on Windows 98 were as Win 2000 was based on the Windows millenium, both were based on Win95. Now the kernal in XP Pro is more self reliant and does not require Shell executables from a DOS command file or Himem Drivers to associate applications to. <this is just what I was told by a friend.

zachtheterrible said:
thanx grrarggh (btw, wuts your real name? i feel like a grunting caveman)
Tim, as I signed my post.

zachtheterrible said:
Not having access to a site is not a problem in itself - certain sites are not public sites. If you're worried about spyware etc - 'Ad-aware' and 'Spybot Search and Destory' should settle your concerns. Any decent antivirus program is a MUST. There a lot of free ones about. For the mean time, McAffee will do a free online virus scan.

On a side note, RIP DOS. 'Twas the greatest operating system microsoft ever did produce. I don't know where I'd be without it.

Tim

Nigel Goodwin said:
grrr_arrghh said:
On a side note, RIP DOS. 'Twas the greatest operating system microsoft ever did produce. I don't know where I'd be without it.

I thought they just bought it in!, from a UK company as I recall?.

Indeed they did. IBM I think... then they gave it a little microsoft twist, re-branded it MS-DOS, made it a bit more unreliable... Well, either way, its still a helluva lot better than windows. If just in terms of y'know, coolness.

I think they bought it for a song as well... <--- underused phrase

Juglenaut said:
DOS is dead, all that's left in windows XP is a command prompt that has alot of the same commands as DOS did back in the day.

DOS is Still very much there it is just less of a shell primary and it not in HImem like it used to be.

XP loads it for Safe Mode and when in Virtual Machine.

XP like many other so called new OS's are just build ups and patches of older versions. XP was based on Windows 98 were as Win 2000 was based on the Windows millenium, both were based on Win95. Now the kernal in XP Pro is more self reliant and does not require Shell executables from a DOS command file or Himem Drivers to associate applications to. <this is just what I was told by a friend.

Actually, Windows 98 and ME are both based off of the windows 95 kernal, which does have DOS. The windows 95 kernal is... well, crap.

Windows 2000 and XP are both based off of the NT kernal, which is much much better. A command prompt exists in windows XP and 2000 where you can execute many commands one might remember in DOS, but DOS itself does not exist in these builds of the OS.

Also, if I remember correctly, windows 2000 and ME where released at about the same time... windows 2000 might have come first. Windows 2000 is the replacement for windows NT, in other words, it's not meant to be a personal computer desktop OS.

I can find sources for all this if you really want me too. :wink:

Nigel Goodwin said:
grrr_arrghh said:

I thought they just bought it in!, from a UK company as I recall?.

Bill Gates wrote DOS for IBM based on PC/M and called it PC-DOS wich was installed on every new IBM machine. Clone computers were starting to emerge and they needed an OS too. IBM forgot to get a patent on DOS so Bill made some minor changes, called it MS-DOS and started a little company called microsoft... The rest of the story is known by everyone.

off memory a bloke in the US wrote the original dos and bill gates bought it off him for a song. I remember seeing a tv program where this business deal is one of the biggest business goff ups in the worlds history

For everyone with DOS nostalgia check out Dosbox. Its a DOS emulator. You can run native dos programs on your Windows machine and specify how fast you want them to run (for those programs that run too fast on new processors). Its great for reliving those old dos games.

bmcculla said:
For everyone with DOS nostalgia check out Dosbox. Its a DOS emulator. You can run native dos programs on your Windows machine and specify how fast you want them to run (for those programs that run too fast on new processors). Its great for reliving those old dos games.

nice... that was the major hangup with old games, they ran the same speed as the computer they were being played on. compare a game that was designed to run on a 486 with a p4... hope you've got really good reflexes :lol:

as for the origins of dos and proof that XP is based on NT, not the 9x kernal, here are some links worth reading:

**broken link removed**
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/msdos/msdos/ods/historyofdos.html
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back