Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of studies have been done regarding bullet coatings and barrel treatments. Either they are way to expensive for the avg. gun owner, don't last for long under the heat of firing, or diminish barrel life. Molybdenum is the best choice for bullet coatings but once a new barrel has seen it, the shooter should continue using it since on a molecular scale, the particles fuse to the barrel steel. There's alot more science to it than what I present here. There are dry lubricants applied to bullets as well. Barrel fouling is the most prevalent concern and that could affect shot accuracy. Here's a little snip about various bullet types as well as the special procedures for cleaning barrels that fire moly-coated bullets. So the diea of highly reduced friction between barrel and slug is not as desirable as you would think. I remember reading about some theory where if an astronaut were to fire a pistol downward on the moon, he'd sail into orbit.... that is if he doesn't shoot off his foot first, puncturing his pressurized suit!!

**broken link removed**

If you were to take a proper sized slug and push it into a rifled barrel, you'd be amazed at what force is needed to manually push it through against the rifling (lands). Between the specific amount of friction necessary to rotate a bullet so it can maintain long range flight accuracy along with hot gases from the charge, barrels become hot very quickly and avg. quality ones will change the POI (point of impact). Good match grade barrels reduce these effects. Military grade barrels can withstand tens of thousands of shots before they wear out. Very high-grade sniper barrels have short lifespans in trade for extreme accuracy where only a few shots would be fired at a time... if that. Remember their motto: "one shot, one kill".

Last edited:
How'z this for a stun gun, f'ckin blam!

Attachments

• 1e_1.jpg
    1e_1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 886
WTH is he shooting? We have flame throwers that emit larger flames than that thing.

ElectroMaster said:
This stun gun is powered by a 9V battery. The transformer steps up the voltage to about 1800V (but with very low current). A 555 timer IC is used to generate a high-frequency output. A 1 MEG variable resistor can also be used at the output to drop the voltage, but this is optional. If you build this circuit, be careful, as it outputs a high voltage. Touching the output leads will induce a painful shock.

stun_gun.gif

NOTE: Building stun guns can be very dangerous! Please use caution.
given transformer is outdated.giv alternative.:confused:

Most little mains transformers will work. I recommend a 6V to 240V mains transformer.

Hey guys have built the circuit and i only get a shock on the output when i release the switch, i.e. i assume when the capacitors discharge but am not sure. Any ideas why this is doing this or is this right? I thought the shock should pulse, if it doesnt any easy ideas on how to make it pulse? cheers

Isn't a legless lizard a snake? Welcome to our forum.

The 555 is supposed to oscillate. Yours doesn't.

yeah nearly, you wouldnt know the difference by looking, but be warned it is there.
ok cheers any ways to resolve this? the 555 has been changed and im not sure why the circuit is not working really. how could i make it oscillate?

If your diodes are backwards then the circuit will have your problem.

Maybe your battery isn't strong enough. Its TIP31 power transistor conducts a lot of current from a brand new 9V alkaline battery that might last a few minutes. Get a new battery.

Perhaps yout 555 isn't working, try another one.

Have you measure the battery voltage using a multimeter?

ive now got two batteries in series, dunno if thats wise the shocks bigger but is still only when you release the switch. So its still not oscillating. And yeah ive changed the 555 twice now still no luck. I am rebuilding it with slightly different bits, will let ya know if that one works. Still any ideas for why this one isnt working are appreciated

Using two batteries in series will only overvoltage the 55 possibly destroying it.

How about the transistor; have you also tried replacing it?

Try monitoring pin 3 of the 555 using an oscilloscope, if you don't have one then you could try connecting a small 8:eek:hm: speaker via a 4.7:mu:F capacitor you should hear a buzzing sound.

Yeah, the transistor is shorted or has its pins connected backwards.

cherry borromeo said:
Could you please add another information about a stun gun and its purpose.
I use it to zap any simple, kind, friendly and cute animals I come accross. They don't come back for more , they do not pass go ,they are not pests anymore.

Someone Electro said:
You can take may mA trough your figers it wil just hurt a lot.Its very dengeris if you get the curent trough your hart.The curently may knock it out if its rithem resulting in death. This is one hadn it the pocket rule. If you done it whith bouth hands it will go up your arm trough your whole body and down the otehr arm.Doing this is dengerus!!!

I once was stupid enigh to discharge an 1uF cap wiled to 2kW in to my hand.It realy hurt and my figer was all red and hirt as hell.I never even dared to toch it whithout puting an screwdriver over it first.

Experienced member huh?

Who would accept advice from someone who wont take the time to spell words at least reasonably closely. It takes no longer to spell it out fully and trying to read this rubbish seriously is bloody frustrating to put it nicely. Can't you make it a little more readable ?

Last edited:
Go easy on him. It's obvious that 2kw shock took its toll on him. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back