Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Coil Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one thought of making a rail gun out of the same circit without the coil

i know the basic principals and you can shoot ally plasma acroos a room

You have all the information you need.

If you know so litle you better stay awey becuse a coilgu means dealing whit high volategs at high curents.

Someone Electro said:
You have all the information you need.

If you know so litle you better stay awey becuse a coilgu means dealing whit high volategs at high curents.

i just want a layout diagram for the coil part. i know the rest.
thanks anywys

Yep its prety spectacular. Even whith 90Joules i got big sparks flying.

I got a 880 Joule bank and the resulty should be prety big and loud.

Someone Electro said:
Yep its prety spectacular. Even whith 90Joules i got big sparks flying.

I got a 880 Joule bank and the resulty should be prety big and loud.

Perhaps I better get a map out?, and see how far you are from the centre of the UK :D

I live pretty well dead centre of the UK, as far from the sea as you can get, in fact a village a couple of miles from me is one of a number who claim to actually BE the centre of the UK. Apparently it depends how you measure it!.

try this one much more powerful coil gun

Attachments

• coil gun.jpg
    coil gun.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 795
I am not sure that it is anymore powerful. The only advantage of that design is that it uses multiple stages, which can increase efficiency.

4700uF at 25V contains much less energy than 10000uF at 100V. If you want you can use the formula Energy(Joules) = (CV^2)/2. Also, multistage designs require a lot more tweaking.

Fist of all as menthones the powersuply is way to small
2nd using a BJT transistor in a coilgun is stupid,becuse they can only handle about half times more pulse curent than continues.(somthing like 15A wont get a projetile very fast)
3rd it has no protection diodes.The transistors and the counter IC would get fryed by the negative pulse.

Also this is a open loop design,wich means it only times the thurn on times.A proper multistage guy has optointerupters to detect the projetiles postition and fire it at the ptimum time no mather the projetile size and weight.Closed loop designs need a lot of tweking just to get the projetile out of the barel and a lot more tweaking to get it to a good speed.

EDIT:
Noticed a nother thing.There is a 16V cap on a 25V suply line.Cap would pop.

Last edited:
freeskier89 said:
I am not sure that it is anymore powerful. The only advantage of that design is that it uses multiple stages, which can increase efficiency.

4700uF at 25V contains much less energy than 10000uF at 100V. If you want you can use the formula Energy(Joules) = (CV^2)/2. Also, multistage designs require a lot more tweaking.

Small Coil Gun SCR trigger. huh!!!!!

Attachments

• scrtrigger.jpg
    scrtrigger.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 615
Thats a prety complicated sicruit just to drive a SCR.

All i did was a voltage source and a resistor to gate.

muki55 said:
Small Coil Gun SCR trigger. huh!!!!!
I am not totally sure what you are trying to say, but yeah, I would recommend that design over the other one you posted, but I agree with Someone Electro, that the SCR drivin g part of the circuit could be a LOT simpler and it would work exactly the same. Its kind of like putting in a voltage regulator when you are just trying to saturate a BJT; you could use a vreg, but a resistor would do the same thing and save many components

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back