Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTech said:
You can do the same thing with an AC line cord and two long steel rods stuck a couple of feet apart into dampened ground.
You only need one rod connected to the live wire and make sure you don't have an RCD on the line or it'll trip.

HiTech said:
You can do the same thing with an AC line cord and two long steel rods stuck a couple of feet apart into dampened ground. The worms wiggle up to the surface, you put them in a container, grab your fishing pole and go catch larger fish than those you pictured. Now you and your family can eat for days to weeks instead of snacking from morning to noon, to supper time.

there are no big fishes there to catch anyways except from the occassional snake lol

Last edited:
I think the schem on the first post is missing a capacitor across the output transistor (from collector to ground, probably a high voltage ceramic in the .1 to 1uF range).

When the transistor turns off, that cap would charge up to way more than the supply voltage (but less than the transistor's max), and then its charge would "bounce" back down through the coil. The voltage will try to shoot right down past ground (*if* you had enough energy in the coil when the transistor turned off--which you hopefully did), where the diode makes it hang at about -1V. While it's stuck there, you turn the transistor back on until the coil is energized again (hence the "zero voltage switching" name).

As it is, there will be really high voltage spikes at that transistor's collector, which may or may not cause reliability problems.

Last edited:
So thats what it was, lol! I remember when I tried this out, I somehow touched the batteries minus terminal and transitor heatsink tab and actually got a worse shock than at the HV output! I figured it was something to do with the inductance of the primary.

Hi can anyone go at this page:

https://www.elfa.se/en/

Follow this:

¤Table of contents
• Transformers/Batteries/Power supply
•• Transformers
••• Mains transformers for PCB mounting

Can anyone find out witsh og these i can use?

HI I've tried to build this dazer stungun, but this is the third type that hasnt worked very well. The only thing I think it can me is I'm using green capped capacitors ?? any help??

Last edited:
phoenixninja9 said:
HI I've tried to build this taser, but this is the third type that hasnt worked very well.
This project is not a taser. A taser is very powerful with a big transformer and an expensive and powerful battery. This is just a cheap toy with a tiny little transformer and battery.

I thought the main difference is that a taser will fire the probes at a short range whereas a stun gun has no range? Either way, yeah your right, this is just for "fun". Still could be dangerous for people with heart issues and is possibly even illegal in the UK (despite its relative harmlessness)? Certainly seems to have gained a lot of interest :rolleyes:

Dr.EM said:
I thought the main difference is that a taser will fire the probes at a short range whereas a stun gun has no range? Either way, yeah your right, this is just for "fun". Still could be dangerous for people with heart issues and is possibly even illegal in the UK (despite its relative harmlessness)? Certainly seems to have gained a lot of interest :rolleyes:

It's CERTAINLY highly illegal in the UK, and subject to severe penalties.

Mind you, I know of two recent cases where people have been shot at! - with bullets entering their car seats narrowly missing them. In both cases the police wouldn't even come out - just gave them an incident number!.

Yet around the same time the police harrassed two 8 year old girls for sitting on a fence at a playground, actual gave them proper official cautions, and wrote to their parents threatening them with ASBO's.

Perhaps the UK police are only interested in chasing motorists and young kids these days?.

I've completed the reading of all this posting of this thread in a row and I have no intention to hijack the thread.

Albeit not interested in building one "taser" / "dazer" / "stungun", my question is: isn't it simpler to charge a capacitor, or a bank of them to a very high voltage where a contact with the two terminals would produce an awful shock?

Aren't you been "over technological" when all what you want is to give a real shock? (Or you want something more?)

I dont grasp the necessity of such sophisticated (or just elaborated circuits), hence my questions. Concrete answers would be apreciated

atferrari said:
my question is: isn't it simpler to charge a capacitor, or a bank of them to a very high voltage where a contact with the two terminals would produce an awful shock?

Aren't you been "over technological" when all what you want is to give a real shock?
The circuit isn't "high tech", it replaces an impossible to obtain high voltage battery with a 9V battery and a simple voltage stepup circuit.
Its output is a continuous high voltage AC, not just a single spark or jolt of DC.

If you want to make just a single spark or jolt every few seconds then go to a camera store and ask for a used disposable camera to get the flash circuit from.

So simple! Now I udnerstand. With the stun gun, it lasts as long as you press the "trigger". The capacitor works just once.

Now I see why it is called "gun".

Back to 5V circuits.

The circuit is called a Stun Gun because after spending a lot of time making it, the builder is Stunned at its poor performance and wants to shoot its designer.:D

I see, always there is another explanation for things! ;-)

audioguru said:
The circuit is called a Stun Gun because after spending a lot of time making it, the builder is Stunned at its poor performance and wants to shoot its designer.:D
LMAO!:D I have a stun gun I used just the other day on a deer. Knocked it smack flat on it's side as if an 18-wheeler hit it at 70mph. It never got back up! Mine is somewhat larger than most models and doesn't require batteries.

**broken link removed**

... and to think that they travel about far, far, far faster than even the fastest magnum loads! Now what about the nutrinos that happen to be passing through unimpeded through the lead bullet itself as it's traveling? :confused:

There must be a lot of friction in a rifle. Has one been made with its barrel and the bullets covered with teflon? Then you could shoot bullets into orbit and they would go through nearly anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back