Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audio transformers used to be used in the valve days to math the amplifier's high impedance to an 8:eek:hm speaker. They are esentially step down transformers and can be used as step up transformers when connected in reverse.

The flyback effect can also increase a transformer's ability to step up the voltage. Suppose a mains transformer has a turns ratio of 1:12 and a 12V battery is connected to the primary, then suddenly disconnected. When the current in the primary is disconnected, the transformer's inductance keeps the current going, the voltage might reach 120V or so. This is steped up by the secondary to give 1.2kV which can cause sparks.

Hello, I'm new here and founded this discussion. I need some help, if you all don't mind.

I'm trying to build a small version of the stun gun and want the shock given to be minimal, as in, only hurts like a bug's sting.

What changes do I need to make to the components? I wanted to use a different transformer and when I need to get it from my lecturer, what do I tell the him, as in the correct term. I tried to buy it from a store but they said there's no such thing.

I'm very new at this so a little help would be appreciated.

zultekmilennia said:
Hello, I'm new here and founded this discussion. I need some help, if you all don't mind.

I'm trying to build a small version of the stun gun and want the shock given to be minimal, as in, only hurts like a bug's sting.

What changes do I need to make to the components? I wanted to use a different transformer and when I need to get it from my lecturer, what do I tell the him, as in the correct term. I tried to buy it from a store but they said there's no such thing.

I'm very new at this so a little help would be appreciated.

The only way I can think of to do this, is build a high voltage circuit that charges a somewhat low capacitance, high voltage capacitor and than shuts off.

The Discharge to the person would be just a "One quick Shot", than the capacitor needs to be re-charged before using it again.

Just a Guess, but possibly using a 30Kv cap, rated at 100 to 200 pF. (Or two in series for 60Kv output.)
I stock these caps, but never tried giving myself a 30 Kv shock from them.

You can get these caps and shock yourself, If you want to try this.

So, you're saying that I don't really need a transformer to increase the voltage? Just a 30kv cap, then make it so that it charges up and then release the charge.

zultekmilennia said:
So, you're saying that I don't really need a transformer to increase the voltage? Just a 30kv cap, then make it so that it charges up and then release the charge.

Ha, no.

He said a 30kV cap charger. If you thought that you could charge a 30kV cap to make it 30kV, try something easier. No really, you could easily hurt/kill yourself.

zultekmilennia said:

No, You still need an Oscillator and transformer circuit to Get the 30 or 60KV. But instead of a Continuous Output you only want to "momentarly" charger the capacitor to give the shock.

But considering your understanding, I would recommend you don't attempt this.

Yeah, I really don't want that much power. I suck at EC, but thought I could pull off at least this one.

Anyways, I still need to build it, so I'll go for a continuous output, but I still need to know what kind of change I need to make for the parts. I got a cellphone charger (Nokia) which has a input of 240v ac and output of 5v-11v. Can I use it?

or I need to pluck the transformer out and use that instead?

jrigg said:
do you use a breadboard to build this circuit. :(
Yes timber must be dry though

cherry borromeo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cherry borromeo
Could you please add another information about a stun gun and its purpose.

Cattle mover ,electric fence ,ATM Guard ,Policemans friend (other friend Mace)
You have seen Starsky & Hutch ?--This is Macey & Crutcher

Does this device deliver an incapacitating amount of energy or is it one of those shitty camera flash circuits?

The schematic on the first page of this thread uses a little battery, little transformer, little transistor and no high voltage capacitor. Its shock will feel like a mosquito bite but the tingle will continue. A camera flash produces a powerful shock for a moment from its high voltage capacitor.

It might incapacitate (stun) a mosquito.

hi... i build this circuit as part of my project now but i didn't put on the transformer.. and nothing happen when i touch the output... why? and what is the waveform at pin3? monostable or astable? can teach me? because my teacher doesn't teach us anything and ask us to do it... so i need your help...

jonkbu said:
hi... i build this circuit as part of my project now but i didn't put on the transformer.. and nothing happen when i touch the output... why?
Didn't you read the text of the project?
It says, "The transformer steps up the voltage to about 1800V".

what is the waveform at pin3? monostable or astable?
Look at the datasheet for the LM555. It shows a square-wave output from the same astable oscillator circuit.

**broken link removed**

Any idea how to measure the voltage and potential current? :D

I did measuring of the input voltage (14volts) and current (3 amps) and measured the primary vs secondary windings, used that ratio to calculate voltage and current. Is that the only way? There would be losses associated with the coil dropping the output?

Due to the flyback effect, the output voltage is likely to be over ten times the turns ratio of the coil.

You could stack a hell of a load of high voltage resistors on the output of your multimeter to form a divider but that isn't very accurate since the delivers the power in pulses. You really need to use a scope with a high voltage probe.

I am looking to make a UV fly killer, anyone think this is the way to go? I hear alot say its not very powerful etc, but then Im just looking to zap flies

Conrad_Turbo said:
**broken link removed**

Any idea how to measure the voltage and potential current? :D

I did measuring of the input voltage (14volts) and current (3 amps) and measured the primary vs secondary windings, used that ratio to calculate voltage and current. Is that the only way? There would be losses associated with the coil dropping the output?

The Actual output Voltage depends on the length of your spark gap. The Spark gap acts like a Zener Diode.

The Pulsed Current on the output can be measured with a Small Dropping resistor and an Oscilloscope.

Thanks for the info guys. All I know right now is that it makes a 5000v fence tester smoke, so there is plenty of voltage. :D

ggoku2004 said:
pls post the PCB and where can be search the transformer, you post image of all circuit, front and rear, thanks!

Google the internet. There are plans everywhere.

but i couldn't get the square waveform... is the problem come from the IC or the TIP31?
what i get is an unstable waveform...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back