1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Stun Gun

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects' started by ElectroMaster, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

Possession of a gun is a SERIOUS offence in the UK, even the Olympic handgun team aren't allowed to own or use handguns. Gun clubs are allowed to have rifles, but it's VERY seriously administered. The only handguns allowed are ball and powder types, nothing you can load in less than half a week! :D

However, possession of a stungun is also a serious offence, as is gas or pepper spray.

However, as a martial artist, any attack on your person should be considered life threatening, and your response should be swift and brutal - and completely automatic - it's easier to argue in court later, than on a slab in the morgue.

2. spuffock

spuffock Member

I had expected Nigel to have advised me not to publish the circuit........

3. Mercur

Mercur New Member

A have located a 'Stun Glove' Schematic on the web from a site called The Free Information Society and this thing supposedly packs a 600V punch.
    I am unsure if this particular design is already here or not and I claim no credit for it.
    Here is the link
    http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schempage.php?cat=11
    the actual page is MS word doc so anyone intrested should simply click the link and either open or save the file.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. spuffock

spuffock Member

On the guts of a camera....

Let's have a closer look at the guts of a flash camera. There is an inverter, to charge a fat cap up to 300 volts, a trigger circuit to fire the tube, and the tube itself. Everyone seems to use the inverter and fat capacitor to put 300 volts on a pair of probes. It'll go through a paper bag if you push!
    What else can we do with the available bits? Say we take the probes between the + of the capacitor and the hot end of the trigger coil, what then? Well, the 300 volts is still there, but look what happens when we fire the trigger circuit! A 10kv spike! That'll punch a hole through a lot more, and light an arc for the 300 volts to follow, like it does in the flashtube.
    If we now take the flashtube, connect the cathode to the trigger coil hot, the anode to the output probe, and wrap a bit of foil round the middle of the glass and ground it, we find that the tube conducts no current until the flash button is pressed, avoiding wasting charge in damp clothing,etc.
    Don't have the probes too close together, with more flesh in the way it hurts more.
    You can get over 5 joules from a throwaway camera, so this should be treated as a weapon. People have died from less. Have fun!

6. Conrad_Turbo

Conrad_Turbo New Member

I'm not familar with gun rules around the world...but I'm assuming killing someone with a home brew electrical device that electrocuted someone to death, as compared to killing someone with a conventional weapon (like a knife) wouldn't do so well in court.

The Free Info Society had some neat projects on their site that's for sure, thanks for the link Mercur.

7. hayzee518

hayzee518 New Member

6ma can kill you. why do you think gfci receptacles are supposed to trip at 4 ma?

8. Willbe

Willbe New Member

Maximum trip time in seconds, T , with current, I, in mA is equal to
    T= (20/I)^(1.43)
    according to some U.L. standard.

And, @ 60 Hz,
    1 mA is barely detectible current
    10 mA is painful current
    18 mA is the bottom end of the "let go" threshold
    100 mA is the bottom end of possibly fatal current

I've heard that currents >4 A clamp the heart from pumping and if the current is stopped quickly enough there's a good chance the heart resumes beating on its own.

BTW, the link below gives specs to check the health of your house's electrical system; knowing these numbers all you need is a DVM, some light loads and some heavy loads [hair dryers or toasters] and a calculator.
    http://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/09/61-164-165_instructions_v4.pdf

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  9. Disco Elephant

Disco Elephant New Member

This was posted a few years ago, so I'm betting that someone's connected their little sister or the next door neighbour's cat to it by now. :)

10. hamada

hamada New Member

hay can any one told me from whare can i get the transformer of this project plz?

11. audioguru

audioguru Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

The transformer was used in portable radios made in 1958. There is an electronics surplus store with old junk like that in my city.
    Some places online have old junk still in stock.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  12. elektroN

elektroN New Member

13. morpheus88

morpheus88 New Member

Hi! i find this circuit that is a little bit different from the one at the start of this post, i want to know if this would work better, thanks

P.S.: sorry for bad english :(

Attached Files:

14. chemelec

chemelec Well-Known Member

IT is also JUNK.

15. audioguru

audioguru Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

The circuit has a maximum amount of power output which is low. When you stepup the voltage then the output current is reduced by the same amount.

High voltage at low current is a tickle, not a STUN.
    A STUN is a high voltage at a fairly high current.

16. morpheus88

morpheus88 New Member

But if when i stepup the voltage the current stepdown
    how i can stepup the voltage without stepdown the current too much?
    the stun gun works with a 9v battery like this circuit so how i can do this?
    i think i must use 2 transformers is correct?
    P.S.: sorry for bad english :eek:

EDIT: in the circuit i posted i should obtain 30kv at 8amp it's not enough?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  17. Nigel Goodwin

It's not going to produce anywhere near 8A :p

It might produce 8uA (a millionth of the suggested value).

18. morpheus88

morpheus88 New Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Nigel Goodwin

Probably better, but still only minute current (as it's supposed to be) - you can't create power, only makes losses of it - so in all cases you get less power out than you provide the circuit in the first place. As the voltage goes higher, the current gets lower.

20. morpheus88

morpheus88 New Member

i've understand this but i've seen a really stun gun work with a 9v battery take out 50kv, i don't know how much current were but it surely would let you on the floor so how it's possible?

21. Nigel Goodwin

The amount of current is tiny, you don't want high current that would kill people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.