Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheVictim said:
I'd step up the output of an invertor through a transformer and then use a Cockroft-Wolton multiplier to step it up again as DC.

That will Produce a "Continuous High DC Voltage", and yes it will give someone a shock.
But it is NOT an Effective Stun Gun.

Stun Guns Produce Pulses or Bursts of HV power.
This gives them a MUCH Greater effect to Induce Pain so as to disable the person quickly.

OK, I'll convert the rear wheel of my bike into a Wimshurst generator and collect the output into a couple of 4 gallon Leyden jars. I'll drag a grounding strap and have a large spike out the front as a corona emitter.

What it would lack in portability it would gain in "What the #$%^ is that?!?"

I've often thought an electrophorus mounted in the soles of jogging shoes could generate a non-trivial electric charge. The action of of lifting your foot from the ground while walking or running would be the activity that separates the top plate from the dielectric cake, where you could then take the charge off. When you put your foot down, an electrical contact could be made between the top plate and the base to reset it to deliver another charge.

Nigel Goodwin said:
They are crap! - convert it to a Van De Graff generator instead, MUCH better! :D
or even better, run a generator to power a tesla coil:D :D :D

i agree, a high voltage section would be great!!!! especially for me, i love high voltage stuff!! but i think this has been dicussed here before?

I remember being told in school (as have many others) that "static" electricity and an electric current were two different things, and "static" electricity wasn't useful for anything. Both of these 'facts' are quite wrong, but science books continue to spread the LIES.

TheVictim said:
I remember being told in school (as have many others) that "static" electricity and an electric current were two different things, and "static" electricity wasn't useful for anything. Both of these 'facts' are quite wrong, but science books continue to spread the LIES.
They are two different things, static electricity is potential difference (e.g. across the charged plates in a capacitor) and current is the flow of electrons (i.e. in the coils of an inductor), the principles of static electricity and current flow are used in all circuit so they are both useful.

Where are you going to find somebody who will take the paralleled capacitors from the charging battery and connect all the capacitors in series?

A red LED needs about 2V. A blue LED needs 3.5V. Why blow them up with 180V?

Why do you want to zap someone? Why not do something useful instead?

For the indicator LED: Couldnt you just use a voltage comparator or some thing along those lines to check to see if the voltage is at 170-180?

Or monitor the total current of the circuit? Drops .. rdy

Zapping someone isnt really what I care about.. I just thought everyone in this thread was after that.. Im just after high voltages really

Im just think about how you would wire it correct... how could you have them in parrallel and in series at the same time... hmmmmmmm

What you've described is a Marx generator. The trick in getting them to shift from series to parallel are arc gaps. You could also use transistors in lower voltage Marx generators.

Caution: The energy storage in these guys can be a LOT. Keep your caps small.

A 1:mu:F capacitor charged to 180V wouldn't hurt that much unless you moistened the skin with saline solution or stabbed the victim with the electrodes.

There's a big difference between 180V for along time and 180V for the time it takes to discharge a 1:mu:F capacitor.

A high current makes a spark when wires are touched together. Your shocker circuit has a very low output current.

You might get a voltage of 100V from that transformer. It steps up the voltage 9.5 times or 19 times. It might give a 1000V spike each time the current in the transformer is turned off.

1000V makes an arc with an air gap of about 1mm. 10kV makes an arc with an air gap of about 1cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back