Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid State alternative to relay, low latch V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidKernel

What's a good (see: cheap and small) alternative to a relay?

Requirements: handle a decent amount of current at the gate (up to 4As) and have a low coil/latch voltage (triggered by MCU).

Thanks guys.

I found that Triac's can accomplish this, as it seems they can handle a high current, can be used as diodes to isolate flow, and have a low control voltage.

Basically, I am going to design a device to implement the AUTO feature of power windows in cars. My car has it auto down for the driver's side using a relay, but my sister's does auto up and down for all four windows.

In my car it works by keeping both motor leads on a constant ground, then depending on whether you need it to go up or down, removes the ground from one and applies +12Vs. I would use an MCU to detect a pulse (high for 1/2 a second) from the switch and then trigger the Triac to provide +12Vs to the line while disconnecting the ground (have to figure that out somehow) and then when detecting a change of resistance (again, gotta figure this out) cutting off the Triac.

Any suggestions?

LiquidKernel said:
What's a good (see: cheap and small) alternative to a relay?

Requirements: handle a decent amount of current at the gate (up to 4As) and have a low coil/latch voltage (triggered by MCU).

Thanks guys.

Power MOSFET.

MCU can drive directly in most cases. You can get a suitable one for less than $1.00 US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back