Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A solenid latch to contract and release a door after a set amount of time, that is being pulled by a spring to open it.

digandug

I'm seeking a relatively robust solenoid latch, preferably 12-volt, that can retract after a programmed time interval, such as 20 minutes, upon pressing a trigger button. This action will enable the cabinet door, under constant pull by a spring, to open.

I've provided diagrams illustrating the following states:

1. The door is closed.
  2. The button is pressed, initiating the timer.
  3. The latch is contracted, allowing the door to open.
  4. The latch returns to its normal state, keeping the door open.
In simpler terms, the circuit will activate the solenoid latch to retract (as shown in image #3) after a predetermined time, delaying the door's opening until the programmed interval has elapsed.

I'm open to suggestions on the easiest method to achieve this. While I understand it can be accomplished with an Arduino, I believe a basic timer might suffice. Please share your insights.

this is not a complicated circuit and its a one off process. meaning it has to be operational over a course of day. the batteries could idealy be over-the-counter type batteries and the solenoid is basic 10 volt from amazon or similar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-16 231405.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 231405.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2024-02-16 231705.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 231705.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2024-02-16 231741.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 231741.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2024-02-16 231819.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 231819.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
This is the concept I was thinking of (though the oscillator counter is the 4060, not 4020... )

Schematic_CMOS long timer_2024-02-20.png

Concept:
The two gates at the top left form a set-reset latch. In the idle state, the output of the lower gate is high, holding the 4060 in reset. From the datasheet, that may also tristate the oscillator driver, so current next to zero overall.

Pressing the start button sets the latch upper gate output high & lower one low, allowing the 4060 to start counting.

The Q outputs will count up, Q4 first going high after 8 osc cycles, Q10 after 512, through to Q14 going high after 4096 cycles.

20 minutes is 1200 seconds, so with Q14 connected to R4 and the oscillator at around 3.4Hz, it should give a 20 minute delay before Q1 is switched on, pulling 4093 pin 9 low.

The lower two 4093 gates form a monostable multivibrator.

When pin 9 goes low, pin 10 goes high and pins 12 & 13 are pulsed high by C4.
In turn pin 11 goes low, turning on the solenoid driver and pulling pin 8 low, holding the monostable active.

Once C4 discharges through the preset pot - which controls the duration of the solenoid pulse - the monostable resets.

When the output at pin 11 goes low, it also resets the SR latch, resetting the 4060 until the button is pressed again.

Once the monostable has timed out, everything goes back to its low power state soon afterwards.

[IF I've not made any mistrakes!!!]

It is a concept drawing, without knowing the solenoid power. If the solenoid needs more than 100 - 200mA, Q2 could be changed for a PNP darlington with suitable ratings.

The solenoid pulse duration is limited by the C4 & VR2 etc. time constant.

The options given are pretty power hungry.
- How long do you want your batteries to last? Days, weeks, months, years?

- How often will the device be activated? One per hour, day, week, ...

- are the batteries inside or outside of the box? That is, if the batteries fail, will there be a way to access inside of box?

- Do you have info on the specific solenoid latch you plan to use? Current draw and recommended time to trigger are most important.
the batteries dont need to last more than a day. the device will not be activated on an on-going basis. its supposed to be operational for one day. the batteries can be anywhere. if the batteries fail, yes, the batteries could be accessed. No I have no specific solenoid latch in mind. the goal here is to be able to open the door with a timer. please let me know if I answered all your questions

Image in post #8 is a Nano board.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back