Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Higher power alternative to MAX98357

zachtheterrible

Hi guys,

I'm using the MAX98357 to drive a speaker for my raspberry pi, but I need more power. Ideally something around 10W.
I'm using the Adafruit breakout.

Wondering if anyone can make suggestions for a similar breakout board but higher power? I need it to have:
- I2S support
- Relatively small, this one is about 1" x 1" but if it were 2" x 2" that wouldn't be a problem

Doesn't have to be class D, any amplifier type would work. Any suggestions?

Another path would be to amplify the output of my MAX98357, but it's seeming that's not exactly straightforward for a class D amplifier. Maybe someone could shed some light here..

Thank you

Last edited:
OK if you have a 12V supply to power it, and would give about 16W per channel to 4 ohm speakers - with a 5V supply, only about 2.5W.

Basically the output power of any amplifier is mostly dependent on the supply voltage, the current the supply can provide, and speaker impedance.

Class-D amplifier ICs are fairly new and the newest ones have improvements.
Maxim company does not exist anymore since acquired by Analog Devices so their old amplifier ICs that produce distortion or need digital inputs might not be made soon.

I suggest using amplifiers made with a Texas Instruments TPA3116 class-D amplifier IC.

Attachments

• TPA3116 amplifier.png
    TPA3116 amplifier.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 85

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back