Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Server Down: Hard Drive Failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed the site. Glad it is back.

My thoughts.. ETO has gone bang/broke or something.

Worried me lot's since the beginning of not being able to access the site around two days ago.

Thank You EM for fixing and letting us know. ETO is an absolute treasure on the NET. Never want it to "disappear" again.

Kind Regards,
tv tech

Last edited:
a small sugestion... maybe we should chip in for a RAID array for the site?? then if a drive fails nothing is lost its just a case of putting in another drive. ive ended up using a RAID system on my main pc as HD's theese days dont seem to last long

a small sugestion... maybe we should chip in for a RAID array for the site?? then if a drive fails nothing is lost its just a case of putting in another drive. ive ended up using a RAID system on my main pc as HD's theese days dont seem to last long

I thought RAID was the opposite?? If you use a RAID array and one drive goes down, its worse... I assumed RAID was for access speed.

I suppose the technology has improved since I last looked (about 5 years ago)

I thought RAID was the opposite?? If you use a RAID array and one drive goes down, its worse... I assumed RAID was for access speed.

I suppose the technology has improved since I last looked (about 5 years ago)

LOL Ian...I am just so happy ETO is up and running again. If ETO is supposed to run on Eight cylinders and is only running on Two now....good enough for me. At least ETO is back.

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
No, it can be used either way - for speed, or for reliability.

Hey Nigel

How are your repairs today? More than normal ?.

We are flooded out. No more space here for repaired sets awaiting collection....Never mind new repairs coming in.

Regards,
tvtech

Raid can be used either or BOTH ways.(RAID10).

I use RAID for mirror. The only inconvenience in a 3rd world country like Cleveland is when the power blinks, you have a 3 to 4 hour rebuild, or more. I limit my drives to 500 GB for that reason.

This episode reminds me of the line from Annie, " A day without ETO is like a night without stars."

John

3rd world country like Cleveland
I liked that thats about where were at now days .

But I'm so glade to see this site up and going. It's about all my broke AZ has to do to keep from going crazy.

@tvtech Repairs are way up here I fix all kinds of boards in stoves dryer and things like that.

Last edited:
Great work EM, thanks for keeping this great resource going! (and I thought it was me that broked it...)

i was pinging server every 2 hrs aswell!!!

FYI - i get this error when trying to upload images:

Fatal error:

Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

Currently uploading avatars, then will do thread images/pdfs. Will update after that (could be a few hours as my upload is relatively slow atm).

Thanks for understanding everyone.

Hi again EM,

Good luck with getting everything back up and running normally. What a pain these systems can be sometimes :)

BTW, do you think it is possible that we lost any memberships that were very recent, and if so, is there any way to inform them?

Last edited:
Hi

Is there any chance that the posts created after Dec 08, the date of last backup before the crash, could be back? Further, many of my threads created before the last backup are missing the attachments. What would become of them? Kindly let me know. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Articles in the 'Circuits' section have also lost their attachments :(.

Yes, the uploading is not working for me too. I'm using an external image hosting website and link the uploaded images here in my posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back