Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repeal Health Care Reform Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
With the GOP's new seats in the Capital, and a promise to repeal, but don't see how they have much of a chance. I think it's just being used as leverage, and to drum up support in the 2012 elections. Can only hope though. Basically, I think the are going to just waste a lot more time and money, and accomplish little.

I never like ObamaCare, mostly for the fact that it's mandatory for everyone to purchase insurance, whether or not, you want or really need it. I've had health insurance through work, for almost 20 years, but was really cheap (at first), and have never used it. The price is going up, the coverage reduced, and would consider dropping it. Health insurance isn't the the same as Health Care, as you can care for your own health (actually most people do), you don't absolutely need a doctor to prescribe an aspirin, apply an ointment, or slap on a bandage. I'm currently three weeks into a broken toe, the worst is over, walking pretty much normally again, and not so many 4-lettered words when I bump into something. Didn't need X-rays to tell me it was broken, and already knew from several past experiences, not a whole lot can be done with it, just tape it to an adjacent toe, and try not to re-injure it for 6-8 weeks.

ObamaCare really doesn't address much of why doctors and hospitals charge so much, nor is there much to reduce those costs down, to where you don't absolutely need insurance, just to talk to a doctor. It doesn't have much to control the cost of the insurance, or many details on what must be covered. What good is insurance, if it only covers rare conditions? Is your insurance really affordable, if you still have to pay $50 out pocket, for each visit to the doctor (co-pay)? Is it really usefull, with a $2500.00 annual deductible?

Yes, there is a Health Care problem, but forcing people to buy insurance, they don't want or need, isn't the solution. The problem still exists, just more people getting in on it. I don't see the employment situation changing much, until after 2014, when the law comes into full effect, and businesses can completely drop their health care benefits, since supposedly, affordable insurance will available to everyone, everywhere. Why would a business want to expend the time and money dealing with insurance, when it will be open equally to all, independently of employment. It's no longer a benefit or perk, so why get involved.

Well since the hillbillies have taken over the senate isn't there first quest to abolish Obamanation Care, basically yankie land is now in limbo and they way things are going there will be a law in OZ where yankie companies are stopped from buying us out and bringing in archaic employment laws that don't abide by our own company laws. How do I know all this the company I work for was bought out by a so-called blue chip US company. The first thing they did was halt any spending on equipment or any new employment, ( why as they will ship their own workers in at a lower wage base). In reality we should have a national open day on yanks but we got all our guns taken off us......

The hillbillys took over the house, not the senate. On day 1, they broke just about every promise they made during the campaign, including allowing the minority party to make ammendments to bills, reduce the deficit by $100B and to bring back constitutional adherance to government.

I saw where the Democrats estimated that repealing ObamaCare, would cost $230 billion, over the next 10 years. But isn't ObamaCare already estimated to cost over $1 Trillion, over ten years? Seems like it's a much smaller price to pay, not to mention ObamaCare is part of the reason some companies and small businesses aren't hiring right now. More people working, means more income taxes to collect, and less people collecting government handouts.

I still think the timing couldn't have been worse to make such a huge change. The people working, and paying premiums, will also have to pick up a portion of the tab, for those with no income, with higher premiums. The government will have to cover the rest, which will come out taxes, so we get hit again. Those receiving the essentially 'Free' Health Insurance, will be the ones who use it the most, nothing better to do, it's free to them, and a good excuse for not having a job.

It wasn't the Democrat estimate, it was from the non-partisian CBO that repealing the Affordable Care Act would add 200B or so dollars to the deficit. And it's not the reason hiring hasn't picked up; we are emerging from a very severe recession. But companys are beginning to add jobs now, and unemployment has ticked down for the first time in forever.

Last edited:
HarveyH42,

With the GOP's new seats in the Capital, and a promise to repeal, but don't see how they have much of a chance. I think it's just being used as leverage, and to drum up support in the 2012 elections. Can only hope though. Basically, I think the are going to just waste a lot more time and money, and accomplish little.

What they are trying to do is put everyone one record as to whether they are for or against 'Bamacare. It is not to get the bill repealed at this time. The vote puts a lot of pressure on the legislators because most people do not want that bill, and they will be able to tell which legislators went against their wishes.

Ratch

HarveyH42,

What they are trying to do is put everyone one record as to whether they are for or against 'Bamacare. It is not to get the bill repealed at this time. The vote puts a lot of pressure on the legislators because most people do not want that bill, and they will be able to tell which legislators went against their wishes.

Ratch

I tend to believe that is what it is all about. They are testing the waters. Looking at the last election health care was a major issue and in most swing areas plenty of Democrats lost seats based on those who supported Obama Care.

Ron

Interesting discussion. I think I am one of those that think they didn't go far enough. I'm retired and now on Medicare, but had 18 months where I kept my company insurance. I was shocked at the cost because I had never paid for my own insurance. I think that gave me a bad attitude. I never ask what something cost because I never had to pay it. As a manager and business owner I just plugged a percentage into the budget without a thought about what I was getting. I think a lot of us were or are like that.
Recently I’ve seen some interesting “stuff”. My wife went for a colonoscopy about the same time as a friend. The friend still had company insurance (GM) and his insurance paid 5 times as much to the same doctor and hospital for the same procedure as Medicare. It is my understanding that if he had had no insurance he would have paid the bill turned into the insurance which was about 5 times what the insurance paid.
I have been fortunate to be healthy so I have paid (or my companies have paid) a lot of money for me for no return. But, that’s how insurance works, some get sick, some don’t.
The other example I’ll share is my neighbor across the street has a 25 year old son. No insurance. He gets testicular cancer. My neighbor is now trying to sell his house. The young man is okay now but without a job with a larger company (which he doesn’t have) or Obama care he would still be at risk because he can’t get insurance.
At first thought I don’t like being told I have to buy something. But I have to say I am very happy with both Social Security and Medicare even though, with luck, I won’t get my money back from either one of them. I suspect if we had a public option the break-even would be about 40% less than what is being paid now.
Oh, by the way the deductible for my Medicare is enough that I don’t run to the doctor for nothing and I have found myself asking questions instead of just doing what is being sold.

I still think buying insurance should be a personal choice. Younger people, just starting out on their own, would much rather be using that money toward a college education or buying a home. After they start to get settled, finances get in better shape, they might consider buying health insurance. Many people do just fine, without ever buying insurance, not everyone runs to the doctor, for every little cut, scrape or bruise, aches and pains.

The timing was really lousy, should have gotten the economy back on track, and more people employed (where the could get on a group plan if they wanted). A lot of people lost their homes, and there are many just barely holding on, another bill in the budget isn't going to help. My employer picks up most of the tab for insurance, as do most. Kind of concerned that they'll just drop that benefit, since it's a huge burden for them, and we all should be able to get the same deal as any other American under ObamaCare, it really isn't much of a perk anymore. I can only see the costs going up, if you have to buy something, aren't you going to make good use of it? When doctors see a higher demand, they will also raise the cost of their services. Hospitals will need to expand, and add more staff, higher operating costs, higher prices, which means higher premiums, for which we will have no choice but to continue paying.

Face it, this is going to suck a lot of money out of the economy. People are a little concerned about spending right now. Businesses aren't hiring any more than the absolutely need, because they are a little worried. November an December is a busy period during the year, not really an indication of much, just some quick numbers for our President to wave around during his speech at the end of this month.

OK, Here is a thought about a fix. How many would sign up to make the cost of employer based insurance taxable to the employee rather than tax exempt? It is after all compensation. That would certainly motivate us to drive down the costs.

ronv,

If part of a complete overhaul of the tax code to a flat tax system, I think that is a excellent idea.

Ratch

OK, Here is a thought about a fix. How many would sign up to make the cost of employer based insurance taxable to the employee rather than tax exempt? It is after all compensation. That would certainly motivate us to drive down the costs.

The employers just need to switch to a terrible benefits package, like what most of the big companies are doing... I now have to pay $2500 before the company starts paying 80%. If something serious happens, I'll be out $5500 before they cover 100%. So I'm only going to the doctor if I'm seriously injured.

I'm a pretty strong republican, but I like the Obamacare. I put my wife back on her dad's insurance. he works at the same place, but he's in the union so he didnt get shafted with the insurance. She's 22 and would be covered until 26, we could have at least 2 more kids by then. It'd be over $3,000 to have one with my insurance. $100 on the old plan.

The employers just need to switch to a terrible benefits package, like what most of the big companies are doing... I now have to pay $2500 before the company starts paying 80%. If something serious happens, I'll be out $5500 before they cover 100%. So I'm only going to the doctor if I'm seriously injured.

I'm a pretty strong republican, but I like the Obamacare. I put my wife back on her dad's insurance. he works at the same place, but he's in the union so he didnt get shafted with the insurance. She's 22 and would be covered until 26, we could have at least 2 more kids by then. It'd be over $3,000 to have one with my insurance. $100 on the old plan.

Our health plan at work just went to the $2500 deductible as well. Seems like what happened to a lot of people, too. Probably what the government suggested, since the law is over 3,000 pages, and there was a second law passed along side it, to fix a few things. Pretty complicated, and too little time to figure out how to comply. Sure does make the law look better, but is it just going to continue making things worse? We pay more, for less coverage. More out of pocket, before the insurance even kicks in, the deductible restarts every year too. Doesn't seem like much of a benefit anymore.

Do you know how much your companies are paying for the $2500 deductable?

What's the total cost of having a baby now days. Bet it's out of sight.

Do you know how much your companies are paying for the $2500 deductable?

What's the total cost of having a baby now days. Bet it's out of sight.

I can tell you this. My employer currently pays $13,000 per year per employee as does my wife's. My total co pay is about $2,500 annual and that includes coverage for my wife. Her plan is fully paid (still) by her employer and cost them about $13,000 a year. Her plan also covers me. They are both excellent plans. Can't tell you about having babies (the last one was $5,000) but last year I had a disk repaired in my neck, that alone was about $100,000.

Ron

I paid in about $560 for the year (medical+dental), company put in about $2,800. We are self-insured, meaning the company pays all the doctor bills, beyond what the employ pays out of pocket. Never used it, so don't know how it all works out. The $2500 deductible is new this year. Tuesday, we got the good news, 40 cent/hour raise, didn't want to jinx it, and ask about the 2% Social Security Obama raise... We lost a high volume product though, so might see a few more lay-offs (reductions) in a few months.

Tuesday, we got the good news, 40 cent/hour raise, didn't want to jinx it, and ask about the 2% Social Security Obama raise... .

What? Been watching too much Fox News?

Americans will be finding themselves with 2 percent more on their paychecks this year due to a recent tax bill.
The Social Security Tax, also called the Payroll Tax, will be cut by 2 percent making 4.2 percent the total amount taken from every paycheck instead of the previous 6.2 percent, said Michael Hanisko, director of the tax department for Weinlander Fitzhugh of Bay City.

Link

Last edited:
Just wanted to put this out there for the US people who do not want ObamaCare.
The house has passed a bill to repeal it but it is stalled in the senate.

To sign a petition go to.
Make a Stand to Take Back Our Country

Aghh, that web site gave me shudders as I had an ex girlfriend named Huckabee who was from Arkansas, but I signed the petition anyways :)

Last edited:
Without paying your duty permission. As I saw it their was only one way to sign. Visa or Master Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back