Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sttrange piece of equipment on auction, care to guess what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, good to know :)

i'll just call it electric padlock with dial used to confuse ;)

Last edited:
OK, the things on the switch look like precision resistors.

The L & N logo on the switch infers that it was made by Leeds and Northrup (or is it Northrop ? can't remember)
L&N were (still are?) manufacturers of high quality measuring instruments, I have one of their resistance bridges stashed away somewhere, brand new and never used!

As for the box, nice paint job, shame about the assembly of the coax sockets!

I think that the guy who did the soldering of those thick copper wires and the earth braid subscribes to the philosophy of " The bigger the blob, the better the job".

So to sum up, you have some switched precision resistors in a box, and at a quick guess it swiches from 0 to 10k Ohm in steps of 1K.

JimB

The L & N logo on the switch infers that it was made by Leeds and Northrup (or is it Northrop ? can't remember)
L&N were (still are?) manufacturers of high quality measuring instruments, I have one of their resistance bridges stashed away somewhere, brand new and never used!

I think that the guy who did the soldering of those thick copper wires and the earth braid subscribes to the philosophy of " The bigger the blob, the better the job".

So to sum up, you have some switched precision resistors in a box, and at a quick guess it swiches from 0 to 10k Ohm in steps of 1K.

JimB

Wow, so my guess was actually correct? :eek:;)

haha, seems so derstorm8, i measured, it adds resistance by 1k steps 0-10k, with very small tolerance, well at least my dmm's (i tested with two) show no change at first digit all the time.
so, overall, got this at 10€, so not bad find? :D.

edit: i mean derstrom, not derstorm :D.

Last edited:

JimB

Hi Jim

Maybe that switch alone is worth way ,way more than 10 Euro's. Precision of note.
Question now is ..what doe's the OP do with it??

Regards,
tvtech

aaand here come's my favourite question, what do i do with it? well honestly, i dont know :D. for now, i dont tear it apart (sounded like dave from eevblog, sort of), i'll think first what i could possibly do with it, and when time is right, box'll find other use, it has already couple places for PCB board, if you look closely you can see them. But, this was again great education, thanks guys :).

LOL fedzer

Great learning curve for all of us. I was hoping it was a wall safe and once you got it open...you find lots and lots of money in it :)

You never know...A wall safe designed as an Electronic contraption. Because of the sockets :)

Regards,
tvtech

haha, seems so derstorm8, i measured, it adds resistance by 1k steps 0-10k, with very small tolerance, well at least my dmm's (i tested with two) show no change at first digit all the time.
so, overall, got this at 10€, so not bad find? :D.

edit: i mean derstrom, not derstorm :D.

Not bad at all. And no worries about the name. You're welcome to call me Matt, anyway. I shouldn't force you guys to use my screen name all the time--you're all friends.

aaand here come's my favourite question, what do i do with it? well honestly, i dont know :D. for now, i dont tear it apart (sounded like dave from eevblog, sort of), i'll think first what i could possibly do with it, and when time is right, box'll find other use, it has already couple places for PCB board, if you look closely you can see them. But, this was again great education, thanks guys :).

As Dave would say,
Don't turn it on, TAKE IT APART!

Nah, really though, decade resistor boxes can be useful in prototyping or equipment testing, but if you don't think you'll ever do that, high precision resistors are very useful to have in the component box. Up to you. ;)

Matt

ok, matt :). ''friends till ignore do us part?''

haha, so you too know the eevblog :D? but, i follow dave's suggestion, especially when i read ''made in china-or-other-mumbo-jumbo-country'' (no offence, i'm no racist). and what boceomes prototyping, i do it pretty regurally, so you newer know what you'll need when designing ''bomb''...speaking of which, teacher demonstraded the power of 'lytics: he shorted cap-bank IIRC 1.6 farads@320v, quite a bang. the caps were from old UPS, from some factory.

ok, matt :). ''friends till ignore do us part?''

haha, so you too know the eevblog :D? but, i follow dave's suggestion, especially when i read ''made in china-or-other-mumbo-jumbo-country'' (no offence, i'm no racist). and what boceomes prototyping, i do it pretty regurally, so you newer know what you'll need when designing ''bomb''...speaking of which, teacher demonstraded the power of 'lytics: he shorted cap-bank IIRC 1.6 farads@320v, quite a bang. the caps were from old UPS, from some factory.

FYI, I almost never touch my ignore buttons :p;)

I started watching the eevblog videos a few weeks ago, I've already seen most of them. When you buy something from a country like China, you have to be really careful that you're getting the real thing. I wouldn't trust most electronics from them, not because I'm racist, but because they do everything cheaply. It's just the way things are.

Electrolytic caps can be a lot of fun. I've never had a 1.6F bank before, but I did make a few large ones at one point. Generally if/when I destroy caps, I connect them directly to 120vac mains (April fools prank for my students ;))

Matt

i watched one daves rewief about atten smd-hotair station, and read about dangerous situtation: live was soldered to chassis, safety-earth and live had swapped places, that's why i check chinese stuff, and sometimes even what i use already.....haha, funny thought, my real name is Atte, and brand name atten, means almost attes :D.
hmm, interesting april fool prank idea ;D my one teacher uses that technique on normal teaching procedure: if measurements are not taken with care, mess tells it all :D. he just connects cap to mains, and it should be seen from measurements.

I remember someone in high school charing a capacitor such that when the locker handle was jiggled it would make a big bang.

i watched one daves rewief about atten smd-hotair station, and read about dangerous situtation: live was soldered to chassis, safety-earth and live had swapped places, that's why i check chinese stuff, and sometimes even what i use already.....haha, funny thought, my real name is Atte, and brand name atten, means almost attes :D.
hmm, interesting april fool prank idea ;D my one teacher uses that technique on normal teaching procedure: if measurements are not taken with care, mess tells it all :D. he just connects cap to mains, and it should be seen from measurements.

I may have seen that one. The one that's most memorable for me were the (supposedly) Apple USB wall chargers. There was absolutely no input or output protection, no isolation, the output was only half-wave rectified, and was just horribly designed. They were trying to pass it off as an Apple product.

However, I feel it necessary to mention that I have purchased items from Chinese companies that turned out to be very well designed, very well put together. Higher quality than you get in many other places, even. So don't judge a book by its cover--do a little research on the company before making a purchase. That's what I've learned.

I don't usually destroy electronic components on purpose, even for a demonstration. While I've done it before, I generally just let the students make the mistakes themselves. They tend to learn it faster that way, though I imagine it's more fun for them to see me do it ;)

Okay, well I keep saying "my students", but really it's just the students in my lab. I'm an electronics lab assistant at a university, and I often help students when they're having trouble with their lab experiments. Technically they're not "my students", but I still consider them to be since I tend to do a lot of tutoring and other types of assistance.

I remember someone in high school charing a capacitor such that when the locker handle was jiggled it would make a big bang.

I remember the one with a ball. Someone would cut it open, put a cap inside with the leads sticking out, which they would attach to aluminum foil (or something like that) to them and to the outside of the ball. They'd seal the slit, charge the cap from the outside, and toss the ball to someone. The victim would inadvertently come in contact with the metal contacts and get a bit of a jolt.

It's amazing how times have changed.... ;)

Seeing we are going here...

Take a Main Smoothing Cap. Charge it to Rated Voltage...

Take it and throw it at the fool trying to make fun of you.....and shout CATCH. The fool will catch it and shock himself nicely.

Lesson learn't.

tvtech

However, I feel it necessary to mention that I have purchased items from Chinese companies that turned out to be very well designed, very well put together. Higher quality than you get in many other places, even. So don't judge a book by its cover--do a little research on the company before making a purchase. That's what I've learned.

I don't usually destroy electronic components on purpose, even for a demonstration. While I've done it before, I generally just let the students make the mistakes themselves. They tend to learn it faster that way, though I imagine it's more fun for them to see me do it ;)

Okay, well I keep saying "my students", but really it's just the students in my lab. I'm an electronics lab assistant at a university, and I often help students when they're having trouble with their lab experiments. Technically they're not "my students", but I still consider them to be since I tend to do a lot of tutoring and other types of assistance.

It's amazing how times have changed.... ;)

yes, i too must ''confess'' i was bit too critical about chinese products, they do make some good products :). About learning the hard way, i've learned it couple times, placed transistor wrong way, and took 100r resistor for 1k :D but thankfully, none caps blowed on my face (knocks wood here....)
as for students, the way i see it, everyone is bit of student, as long there is learning. I too tend to do tutoring, its very pleasing to help, and to see other point of viefs (was that correct word?) too :).

Seeing we are going here...

Take a Main Smoothing Cap. Charge it to Rated Voltage...

Take it and throw it at the fool trying to make fun of you.....and shout CATCH. The fool will catch it and shock himself nicely.

Lesson learn't.

tvtech

hmm, could that be effective towards barking/biting dog? hmm.....no worries, i like dogs and other animals, i just take them with caution :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back