Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reaction timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulcerdonor

Hi, I don't have very much experience, and I am more than willing to do the research to complete my project. If I can get some assistance into the right direction I would greatly appropriate it.
I'm would like to build a circuit with 5 LEDs that randomly flash for .25 sec to 1 sec +/-. With at least a solid second between each led firing. The trick I must overcome is there cannot be a pattern in which the LEDs flash. I would like to be able to adjust the time between LEDs firing and the length of the LED lit. There are a lot of very smart people on this forum that have a lot of experience. Please give me a few moments and let me know if this project is possible or what I should be researching.
Thanks
Bryan

You will want a microcontroller. Based on your experience, likely an Arduino. All pretty easy to program except for the randomness. You will need some random seed to get different numbers every time you restart. I've never gotten into random number seeding, but I'm sure there is some noise you can get from the ADC or some cheap sensor that you can use as a random seed so it doesn't start with the same pattern each time you power cycle the controller.

I just thought, does the Arduino have EEPROM? If you can store a seed and increment it each time there's no need to generate a new one each power cycle.

DirtyLude, thank you very much for your response. I did a little investigating on the Arduino and it appears this has the ability (and then some) to do everything I need. I just ordered one and downloaded a code that will need a little tweaking, but should be an excellent starting point to get me moving ahead.
Thanks again.
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back