Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about switching DC jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack.Straw

Hello. The only switching DC jacks that i can find switch the ground/casing. For my application i need a through-hole mount style DC jack. The surface it is mounted on is conductive metal... and other components form the same circuit are also mounted on the same metal face. I can't really see a way of insulating the DC jack from the metal it is mounted on/through. Is there such a thing as a switching DC jack that switches the positive?

Thanks for your time,
-Scott

Searching DigiKey, I could only find 2 jacks that might work for you, including this one. The bad news is that the switch is on the sleeve, not the tip. The good news is that the jack body is plastic, so it'd be completely insulated from a metal panel. (The other bad news is that it fits in a rectangular hole.)

Last edited:
What diameter or does it matter?

Ron

I've used this obscure company before and probably have a few of these **broken link removed** lying around for a project.

Nice company to deal with. they also have locking DC coaxial power plugs.

DC jacks are the worst parts to use when designing a PBC. They have terminals of 0.4X2mm which requires milling.

Manual milling is already very critical at a tool diameter of 1mm. Using smaller diameters the tool will break with the first move.

Even professional PCB manufacturers prefer milling tools of at least 1mm to avoid breakage. (because of the expensive tools)

A better way to go is using 3.5mm stereo jacks as used in power amplifiers to turn off the speakers when a head set is plugged in.

They are manufactured with five terminals - common ground - left channel in - left channel out - right channel in - right channel out.

For DC applications you might parallel the channels for higher current.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back