Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about the circuit board

parkertseng

Hi

I am a new joiner here.
Today I am trying to make some modification to for my hair dryer to be able to use in 220V country from a 100V country.
When I opened the power adaptor.
I can see all the visible parts were label with more than 220V.
Does that mean it is 220V ready?
Thanks

IMG_9610.JPG
IMG_9611.JPG
IMG_9614.JPG

VERY, VERY unlikely - if it's suitable for operation on 220V then it will say so on the outside - it's got nothing to do with the voltage ratings on the components.

Generally, to be multi-voltage, a unit would require a SMPSU - which I wouldn't expect a hairdrier to have.

The pictures aren't a power adaptor anyway, they look to be a simple mains filter, to prevent interference.

I would imagine plugging it in to 220V would destroy it in seconds.

Those X2 capacitors are rated for 275 volts. The peak voltage of 220 VAC is 220 × 1.414 = 311 volts – oops, you let out the magic smoke. Rest in peace smoky the hair dryer.

Nigel Goodwin is right anyway – the box is just a filter.

There are 110/220V dryers out there, and are clearly marked as such. Your 100V (120V) unit will not operate directly on 220V, you will burn up the heating elements.

Your 100V (120V) unit will not operate directly on 220V, you will burn up the heating elements.
And the filter caps. And the motor.

It's possible the filter is universal, as the caps are rated 275V AC. But, I suspect the 330V varistor rating is too low for 220V anyway, as they usually have a 10% accuracy, and the peak voltage (311V) would be too much. But regardless, the motor and elements won't survive anyway. The unit is 110V only...

Rated AC voltage is always assumed to be sinusoidal RMS AC not peak or DC. So 275V is OK. and the varistor might blow the fuse with a grid transient.

The heater naturally needs to be increased in resistance by 220 % while maintaining the motor current, so good luck..

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back