Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

People counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

metoo25

Hello. I am currently working on a project about Corona . I want to build a device for the supermarkets which keeps track of how many people that enters and exits the room. Sometimes it can be difficult to know how many people there are in a room.
I want to make a people counter, which counts the number of people entering and exiting a room. Also it will inform others of how many people there are in that room, and if the room is filled up the device will blink red. I am trying to make a simple device that isn't that complex.

I am looking for inspiration online and want to know if there are other devices that does this. Also I want to know about all the different types of people counters out there.
I am not sure on how to build a simple device like this and what sensors to use, therefore I need inspiration.

Does anyone have any links for different types of people counters with pictures or videos illustrated?
Please ask me if you have any questions

Last edited:
A better explanation of what you're trying to do would be good. A break beam on in/out doors will work or if more vast then maybe facial recognition may be required.

Mike.

Hello. I am currently working on a project . I want to make a people counter, which counts the number of people entering and exiting a room. Also it will inform others of how many people there are in that room, and if the room is filled up the device will blink red.

I am looking for inspiration online and want to know if there are other devices that does this. Also I want to know about all the different types of people counters out there.

Does anyone have any links for different types of people counters with pictures illustrated?

I would look to the Texas Instrument radar system. It is awesome.

Car counters in parking garages work because the entrances and exits are designed so that there is no physical way for two cars to enter or exit simultaneously (next to each other in parallel). If you cannot assure this for the room people are in, then all couning methods will be inaccurate. How inaccurate depends on the number and widths of the doorways. Also, bi-directional is bad in this application. The ultimate would be one guzinta door and one guzoutta door, but that probably is not practical. Direction can be determined with two sensors per doorway and some logic, especially if the physical arrangement assures that an exiting person will clear both sensors before an entering person overlaps one of them.

As above, we need more information about the venue.

ak

Cameras in doorways also work with the right software.
1*h4pw251A9_Wrjp6BjLODNg.gif

or you can play games with cell phone signal counting.

A better explanation of what you're trying to do would be good. A break beam on in/out doors will work or if more vast then maybe facial recognition may be required.

Mike.

Hello. I tried to give a better explanation above. Please let me know if you have any questions

-Metoo25

Car counters in parking garages work because the entrances and exits are designed so that there is no physical way for two cars to enter or exit simultaneously (next to each other in parallel). If you cannot assure this for the room people are in, then all couning methods will be inaccurate. How inaccurate depends on the number and widths of the doorways. Also, bi-directional is bad in this application. The ultimate would be one guzinta door and one guzoutta door, but that probably is not practical. Direction can be determined with two sensors per doorway and some logic, especially if the physical arrangement assures that an exiting person will clear both sensors before an entering person overlaps one of them.

As above, we need more information about the venue.

ak

Hello thank you.
I tried to give a better explanation above. Please let me know if you have any questions

-Metoo25

A supermarket local to me has such a system - I assume that it uses break-beams at the doors, although I've not checked. An advantage of supermarkets, as opposed to smaller shops, is that they generally have "in" and "out" doors, which makes such a system practical. Also, many places are supervising the doors with staff at the moment, so it may be possible to ensure that people don't go through together.
Of course, you'd have to thoroughly "de-bounce" your beam, to avoid it counting every vertical bar on a trolley, for example!
Given that the technique would never be completely accurate you'd have to ensure the staff reset the counter to 0 each night when they locked up and the shop was known to be empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back