Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this hearing aid battery an over the counter battery?

Have you done any due Diligence? I would consider wired iPod-like device the size of credit card in my shirt pocket with stereo mics wired to earbuds by Skullcandy all for < $100 with dynamic EQ and noise cancellation. Of course there are iBuds with a smartphone for < $250, what else is there? https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-airpods-pro-hearing-loss-hearing-aids/ look around!

You can't hear the nagging if you don't have the hearing aids!

A young girl started at our local school (my wife works there), her name was Victoria, and she was 100% deaf from birth - shortly before she started school she had cochlear implants fitted, so as well as hearing normal audio the teachers wore a transmitter that linked directly to her implants.

What the teachers didn't realise, but all the other kids in the class did, if she was getting told off she turned her implants off, and never heard a single thing :D

A young girl started at our local school (my wife works there), her name was Victoria, and she was 100% deaf from birth - shortly before she started school she had cochlear implants fitted, so as well as hearing normal audio the teachers wore a transmitter that linked directly to her implants.

What the teachers didn't realise, but all the other kids in the class did, if she was getting told off she turned her implants off, and never heard a single thing :D
And, if the teachers forgot to manage their transmitters appropriately, the poor girl may have also heard the teachers use the toilet.

I'm not loosing sleep over it but my wife is. Wife found a place that advertised hearing aids for $300. she has been nagging me for 2 weeks so we went there today. After the free hearing test they built 2 demos that work excellent but price is $4000. not $300, and $1000. extra for rechargeable batteries.

I will send my hearing aids in for repair price will be $600. minus $90 I already paid for the new amplifier for the right ear. I can do without hearing aids for a week. Our insurance pays for 90% of the bill. I think TNcare plus Humana both pay that is why we only have to pay about 10% of the bill but there is a limit I think its $1600. or $1800. total. Wife takes care of the bills.
If it was just a battery failure, why would it be so expensive? As far as I know, hearing aids usually use lithium polymer batteries, which can be made into any shape. $600 is enough for some battery manufacturers to customize the battery.

If it was just a battery failure, why would it be so expensive? As far as I know, hearing aids usually use lithium polymer batteries, which can be made into any shape. $600 is enough for some battery manufacturers to customize the battery.
I already explained above that I removed the case cover the circuit board is burred under white cement and 1/2 of the 8 turn copper wire coil around the battery is in cement also. The battery is inside the 8 turn coil. Battery can not be removed with destroying the coil. People that work on the same hearing aids day after day know what is hidden inside the cement and how to remove it and repair it. The best I can do is probably fix it so it can never be fixed. I can't even see how battery makes contact with the + & - wires.

Some devices with a manufacturer cost of -say $100- will happily have all its guts replaced for $600 for $500 profit and a pleased customer. It is called 'cover your ass' and 'ripoff' and a warranty claim will never harm profits.
I worked many years at fancy broadcasting audio processing equipment manufacturers where the main pcb cost was ~$500 for a unit sold at ~$5000. Lightning strikes were the cause of most failures, about half were not repairable burns. The company never had to argue with a claimant.

But it is still a ripoff...

Some devices with a manufacturer cost of -say $100- will happily have all its guts replaced for $600 for $500 profit and a pleased customer. It is called 'cover your ass' and 'ripoff' and a warranty claim will never harm profits.
I worked many years at fancy broadcasting audio processing equipment manufacturers where the main pcb cost was ~$500 for a unit sold at ~$5000. Lightning strikes were the cause of most failures, about half were not repairable burns. The company never had to argue with a claimant.

But it is still a ripoff...
Not a ripoff, it's capitalism. The board company wasn't selling populated PCBs, they were selling the knowhow of how to design and build PCBs. Intellectual property has value. Your argument would say a CD full of music should cost the 13¢ worth of plastic used to make the CD because the artist's contribution had no value.

Back